Mar 10, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Tampa Bay forward Ryan Malone will be a healthy scratch for the third consecutive game on Monday when the Bolts host the Coyotes at the Times Forum — and, according to reports, he’s none too pleased about it.
#tblightning veteran wing Ryan Malone admits he’s not happy bout being healthy scratch four straight games, but will stay ready for his turn
— Joe Smith (@TBTimes_JSmith) March 10, 2014
(Note: It’s the third game, not the fourth.)
Malone, 34, hasn’t played since a 4-2 loss to St. Louis on Mar. 4. That game was the last of a 12-game pointless streak that saw the veteran winger go minus-4 with diminished ice time (just over 10 minutes against the Blues.)
This season has not been kind to the former Penguin and U.S. Olympian. A big-bodied power forward (6-foot-4, 225 pounds), Malone missed 16 games with a foot injury and his production has suffered, scoring just five goals and 12 points in 46 games while averaging a career-low 12:22 TOI per game.
Compounding matters is Malone’s contract — a bloated seven-year, $31.5 million deal with a $4.5 million annual cap hit. It’s possible Malone could be a buyout candidate this summer, though it’s also possible Tampa Bay will have him play out the final season of his deal.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)