Mar 10, 2014, 12:56 PM EST
Tampa Bay forward Ryan Malone will be a healthy scratch for the third consecutive game on Monday when the Bolts host the Coyotes at the Times Forum — and, according to reports, he’s none too pleased about it.
#tblightning veteran wing Ryan Malone admits he’s not happy bout being healthy scratch four straight games, but will stay ready for his turn
— Joe Smith (@TBTimes_JSmith) March 10, 2014
(Note: It’s the third game, not the fourth.)
Malone, 34, hasn’t played since a 4-2 loss to St. Louis on Mar. 4. That game was the last of a 12-game pointless streak that saw the veteran winger go minus-4 with diminished ice time (just over 10 minutes against the Blues.)
This season has not been kind to the former Penguin and U.S. Olympian. A big-bodied power forward (6-foot-4, 225 pounds), Malone missed 16 games with a foot injury and his production has suffered, scoring just five goals and 12 points in 46 games while averaging a career-low 12:22 TOI per game.
Compounding matters is Malone’s contract — a bloated seven-year, $31.5 million deal with a $4.5 million annual cap hit. It’s possible Malone could be a buyout candidate this summer, though it’s also possible Tampa Bay will have him play out the final season of his deal.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 34
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 50
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 33
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 49
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (169)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)