Mar 10, 2014, 12:56 PM EST
Tampa Bay forward Ryan Malone will be a healthy scratch for the third consecutive game on Monday when the Bolts host the Coyotes at the Times Forum — and, according to reports, he’s none too pleased about it.
#tblightning veteran wing Ryan Malone admits he’s not happy bout being healthy scratch four straight games, but will stay ready for his turn
— Joe Smith (@TBTimes_JSmith) March 10, 2014
(Note: It’s the third game, not the fourth.)
Malone, 34, hasn’t played since a 4-2 loss to St. Louis on Mar. 4. That game was the last of a 12-game pointless streak that saw the veteran winger go minus-4 with diminished ice time (just over 10 minutes against the Blues.)
This season has not been kind to the former Penguin and U.S. Olympian. A big-bodied power forward (6-foot-4, 225 pounds), Malone missed 16 games with a foot injury and his production has suffered, scoring just five goals and 12 points in 46 games while averaging a career-low 12:22 TOI per game.
Compounding matters is Malone’s contract — a bloated seven-year, $31.5 million deal with a $4.5 million annual cap hit. It’s possible Malone could be a buyout candidate this summer, though it’s also possible Tampa Bay will have him play out the final season of his deal.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 57
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (59)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)