Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Vancouver defenseman Kevin Bieksa doesn’t think the Canucks are sinking. That’s not what he meant Saturday when he said on Hockey Night in Canada, “I’m a Canuck at heart and I’m going down with the ship. I’ll be here until they throw me out of here. I still believe in this team and this group. And I still think we can win.”
Not surprisingly, despite what he said after the “going down with the ship” part, that was the part people heard the loudest. So today, he clarified:
Bieksa on 'down with the ship' comment: 'it means I'm a Canuck 'til the end. It's a metaphor. I don't think the ship is actually going down'—
Jeff Paterson (@patersonjeff) March 10, 2014
Bieksa, 32, is signed through 2015-16 for a cap hit of $4.6 million. If he were to waive his no-trade clause, the Canucks could expect a handsome return in a swap. The same goes for teammates Ryan Kesler and Alex Edler, both of whom were reportedly in trade discussions prior to the deadline, and could still be moved in the offseason.
But by the sounds of it, Bieksa has no interest in being dealt. (Edler has implied the same thing.)
For video of the Bieksa interview, click here.
After beating Calgary Saturday, the Canucks host the Islanders tonight.
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 0
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 13
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 30
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)