Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EST
Vancouver defenseman Kevin Bieksa doesn’t think the Canucks are sinking. That’s not what he meant Saturday when he said on Hockey Night in Canada, “I’m a Canuck at heart and I’m going down with the ship. I’ll be here until they throw me out of here. I still believe in this team and this group. And I still think we can win.”
Not surprisingly, despite what he said after the “going down with the ship” part, that was the part people heard the loudest. So today, he clarified:
Bieksa, 32, is signed through 2015-16 for a cap hit of $4.6 million. If he were to waive his no-trade clause, the Canucks could expect a handsome return in a swap. The same goes for teammates Ryan Kesler and Alex Edler, both of whom were reportedly in trade discussions prior to the deadline, and could still be moved in the offseason.
But by the sounds of it, Bieksa has no interest in being dealt. (Edler has implied the same thing.)
For video of the Bieksa interview, click here.
After beating Calgary Saturday, the Canucks host the Islanders tonight.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)