Bieksa doesn’t think ‘the ship is actually going down’ in Vancouver

Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EST

Vancouver defenseman Kevin Bieksa doesn’t think the Canucks are sinking. That’s not what he meant Saturday when he said on Hockey Night in Canada, “I’m a Canuck at heart and I’m going down with the ship. I’ll be here until they throw me out of here. I still believe in this team and this group. And I still think we can win.”

Not surprisingly, despite what he said after the “going down with the ship” part, that was the part people heard the loudest. So today, he clarified:

Bieksa, 32, is signed through 2015-16 for a cap hit of $4.6 million. If he were to waive his no-trade clause, the Canucks could expect a handsome return in a swap. The same goes for teammates Ryan Kesler and Alex Edler, both of whom were reportedly in trade discussions prior to the deadline, and could still be moved in the offseason.

But by the sounds of it, Bieksa has no interest in being dealt. (Edler has implied the same thing.)

For video of the Bieksa interview, click here.

After beating Calgary Saturday, the Canucks host the Islanders tonight.

1. runhigh24 - Mar 10, 2014 at 3:11 PM

It’s good the players don’t want to jump ship, but the Canucks are stuck now where Calgary was a couple years ago, able to make a run at the playoffs but no hope of succeeding if they made it there. Would be best of them to sell off their assets soon while they still can bring a sizable return.

2. blomfeld - Mar 10, 2014 at 3:23 PM

BIESKA ROCKS !!!

Another quality statement by a quality player on a quality team ! Bieksa is ‘my’ kind of player, an unwavering warrior who stays true to the cause come hell or high water ! You know friends, now that Roberto Luongo has ‘Madoff’ with his USD $64,000,000.00 down south to obscurity, I’m actually starting to really warm to these Canucks ? In fact, I’m almost ready to agree with their motto that “We Are All Canucks” here in Vancouver ! Hey, there’s nothing wrong with supporting two teams right ? … no different maybe than liking two girls or something eh ? :)

GO CANUCKS GO !!! … GO KINGS GO !!!

• elvispocomo - Mar 10, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Meh, we’re ok. Canucks already have enough fair weather fans.

• davebabychreturns - Mar 11, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Not for long..

• elvispocomo - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I’m still good with that statement if it means getting rid of all the idiots.

• machosasquatcho - Mar 10, 2014 at 10:29 PM

A+++ QUALITY, BLOMFELD.

WOULD COMMENT ON AGAIN.

3. puckmepuckyou - Mar 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I definitely admire his class and his attitude but his team is in real trouble. I hate to see any team suffer but I can’t help but smile a bit when I think Torts is going under.

4. davebabychreturns - Mar 10, 2014 at 5:20 PM

After beig contacted by PHT, Kevin Bieksa has further confirmed he does not believe the Canucks are actually a ship.

5. harpdog - Mar 11, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Bieska is a great team mate city supporter but he himself has to pick up his defense side of his game. He cannot be mr. nonchalant because at 32 you start to lose that touch and you must learn to concentrate more. Too many times has he been out of position and slow to react and forgets about the man when the puck is the last thing he should think about. However, wow does he support the kids and the population that looks to the Canucks for inspiration in their lives, U I think that is why I like Bieska on my team.

Tortelells burnt the top players out this year. The played too much. Tomany 2 and 3 line periods. I understand its a risk but man this team is slow and looks tired and always fade near the end of games all year long.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches