Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EST
Colorado Avalanche forward Paul Stastny will miss Monday’s game against the Winnipeg Jets with a back injury, but the Denver Post reports that he’s expected to return for Wednesday’s big test against the Chicago Blackhawks.
As of this writing, the Avs are three points behind Chicago for the second spot in the Central Division, but they’ve played one fewer game. They also have more regulation/overtime wins (38-33) among tiebreaker advantages.
Obviously, beating Winnipeg would only improve the Avs’ chances of usurping the Blackhawks, but they’ll do so with a modified lineup, as Stastny’s absence forces Patrick Roy to roll with 11 forwards and seven defensemen. Nathan MacKinnon moves from winger to center to fill the void left by Stastny while Jamie McGinn jumps up from the third line to take MacKinnon’s spot.
Stastny, 28, is set to be an unrestricted free agent this summer. He has 20 goals and 47 points in 58 games, ranking as an underrated part of Colorado’s breakthrough season.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 44
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)