Mar 9, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues are third in the league in goals per game without having a single player in the top-30 of the NHL’s scoring race.
They’ve accomplished that feat by having a balanced squad where almost any player can be the hero in any given game. On Saturday, it was Oshie that made his presence known, beating Avalanche defenseman Nate Guenin one-on-one with an impressive deke before shoving the puck to David Backes to put the Blues on the board in their eventual 2-1 victory.
You can view his maneuver below:
“It’s crazy what he does out there and I’m the beneficiary,” Backes said after the game, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I’m just going to the net like I’m supposed to, and he makes a fantastic play. Then the vision as he’s going down to find me backdoor, that’s 100 percent his goal all the way.”
The Blues have now won four straight games to improve to 43-14-6 this season. It’s debatable whether you want to refer to any of their forwards as a star, but they certainly have plenty of scoring depth and when you combine that with one of the best defenses in the league and newly acquired goaltender Ryan Miller, you have a team that could go far in the playoffs.
- Jordan Staal needs help off the ice in Canes’ preseason game 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)