Mar 9, 2014, 10:37 AM EST
The St. Louis Blues are third in the league in goals per game without having a single player in the top-30 of the NHL’s scoring race.
They’ve accomplished that feat by having a balanced squad where almost any player can be the hero in any given game. On Saturday, it was Oshie that made his presence known, beating Avalanche defenseman Nate Guenin one-on-one with an impressive deke before shoving the puck to David Backes to put the Blues on the board in their eventual 2-1 victory.
You can view his maneuver below:
“It’s crazy what he does out there and I’m the beneficiary,” Backes said after the game, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I’m just going to the net like I’m supposed to, and he makes a fantastic play. Then the vision as he’s going down to find me backdoor, that’s 100 percent his goal all the way.”
The Blues have now won four straight games to improve to 43-14-6 this season. It’s debatable whether you want to refer to any of their forwards as a star, but they certainly have plenty of scoring depth and when you combine that with one of the best defenses in the league and newly acquired goaltender Ryan Miller, you have a team that could go far in the playoffs.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)