Mar 9, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues are third in the league in goals per game without having a single player in the top-30 of the NHL’s scoring race.
They’ve accomplished that feat by having a balanced squad where almost any player can be the hero in any given game. On Saturday, it was Oshie that made his presence known, beating Avalanche defenseman Nate Guenin one-on-one with an impressive deke before shoving the puck to David Backes to put the Blues on the board in their eventual 2-1 victory.
You can view his maneuver below:
“It’s crazy what he does out there and I’m the beneficiary,” Backes said after the game, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I’m just going to the net like I’m supposed to, and he makes a fantastic play. Then the vision as he’s going down to find me backdoor, that’s 100 percent his goal all the way.”
The Blues have now won four straight games to improve to 43-14-6 this season. It’s debatable whether you want to refer to any of their forwards as a star, but they certainly have plenty of scoring depth and when you combine that with one of the best defenses in the league and newly acquired goaltender Ryan Miller, you have a team that could go far in the playoffs.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)