Mar 9, 2014, 5:27 PM EST
The Calgary Flames announced that forward Matt Stajan is taking a leave of absence after his son Emerson died following childbirth on March 3.
Here’s the Flames’ release regarding that awful news.
It is with great sadness we inform that Katie and Matt Stajan are grieving the loss of their son, Emerson Stajan. Emerson passed away Monday, March 3, 2014, following childbirth.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Katie and Matt at this difficult time. We appreciate that everyone has and will continue to respect their privacy during this period.
A private memorial service will take place in the ensuing days.
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 1
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 10
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 82
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)