Mar 9, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames announced that forward Matt Stajan is taking a leave of absence after his son Emerson died following childbirth on March 3.
Here’s the Flames’ release regarding that awful news.
It is with great sadness we inform that Katie and Matt Stajan are grieving the loss of their son, Emerson Stajan. Emerson passed away Monday, March 3, 2014, following childbirth.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Katie and Matt at this difficult time. We appreciate that everyone has and will continue to respect their privacy during this period.
A private memorial service will take place in the ensuing days.
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 0
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 9
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 8
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 44
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 47
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28