Mar 9, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Despite the final score, Lundqvist was forced to maintain a one-goal lead for the better part of the game. He turned aside 30 shots to become the 29th goaltender to ever record 300 wins. Just a week after his 32nd birthday, Lundqvist is also only one shutout shy of 50.
Brian Boyle was credited with the game-winning goal, which he netted just 5:14 minutes into the contests. It was a controversial marker because the Red Wings felt there should have been a penalty on the play:
Chris Kreider eventually provided the Rangers with some breathing room in the third period with his 15th and 16th goals of the 2013-14 campaign. Ryan McDonagh and Derek Stepan assisted on both of Kreider’s markers.
Detroit entered this game holding onto the second Wild Card spot by virtue of having played in one less game than Columbus. With that no longer being the case, the fact that the Red Wings have won fewer regulation and overtime games than the Blue Jackets means that they’ve allowed the playoff spot to slip away.
Meanwhile, the Rangers have opened up a three-point cushion in the playoff race and moved ahead of the Philadelphia Flyers in the battle for the second seed in the Metropolitan Division.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 0
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 3
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 22
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)