Mar 9, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Despite the final score, Lundqvist was forced to maintain a one-goal lead for the better part of the game. He turned aside 30 shots to become the 29th goaltender to ever record 300 wins. Just a week after his 32nd birthday, Lundqvist is also only one shutout shy of 50.
Brian Boyle was credited with the game-winning goal, which he netted just 5:14 minutes into the contests. It was a controversial marker because the Red Wings felt there should have been a penalty on the play:
Chris Kreider eventually provided the Rangers with some breathing room in the third period with his 15th and 16th goals of the 2013-14 campaign. Ryan McDonagh and Derek Stepan assisted on both of Kreider’s markers.
Detroit entered this game holding onto the second Wild Card spot by virtue of having played in one less game than Columbus. With that no longer being the case, the fact that the Red Wings have won fewer regulation and overtime games than the Blue Jackets means that they’ve allowed the playoff spot to slip away.
Meanwhile, the Rangers have opened up a three-point cushion in the playoff race and moved ahead of the Philadelphia Flyers in the battle for the second seed in the Metropolitan Division.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)