Mar 9, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Despite the final score, Lundqvist was forced to maintain a one-goal lead for the better part of the game. He turned aside 30 shots to become the 29th goaltender to ever record 300 wins. Just a week after his 32nd birthday, Lundqvist is also only one shutout shy of 50.
Brian Boyle was credited with the game-winning goal, which he netted just 5:14 minutes into the contests. It was a controversial marker because the Red Wings felt there should have been a penalty on the play:
Chris Kreider eventually provided the Rangers with some breathing room in the third period with his 15th and 16th goals of the 2013-14 campaign. Ryan McDonagh and Derek Stepan assisted on both of Kreider’s markers.
Detroit entered this game holding onto the second Wild Card spot by virtue of having played in one less game than Columbus. With that no longer being the case, the fact that the Red Wings have won fewer regulation and overtime games than the Blue Jackets means that they’ve allowed the playoff spot to slip away.
Meanwhile, the Rangers have opened up a three-point cushion in the playoff race and moved ahead of the Philadelphia Flyers in the battle for the second seed in the Metropolitan Division.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 7
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)