Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
In a month or so, we’ll know if this 2-1 win against the Calgary Flames really means anything for the Vancouver Canucks. Still, it’s probably not a stretch to say that things would get that much uglier if they didn’t gut out a win on Saturday.
Eddie Lack & Co. shook off that embarrassing Brian McGrattan goal to end a four-game losing streak and stay in the thick of things for one of the last wild card spots in the Western Conference. If nothing else, it seems like Lack has the right attitude about shaking off tough goals.
He believes that a save he made against Joe Colborne was a needed confidence-booster after that shaky center-ice tally.
“I think it was important to make that save there,” Lack said.
(Colborne echoed Lack’s sentiments after the game.)
Whether you call it a resilient performance or merely getting the job done against a low-ranked team (or both), the Canucks grabbed those key two points. Here’s how the West playoff push, particularly the bubble situation, looks after tonight’s games (via NHL.com):
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)