Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
In a month or so, we’ll know if this 2-1 win against the Calgary Flames really means anything for the Vancouver Canucks. Still, it’s probably not a stretch to say that things would get that much uglier if they didn’t gut out a win on Saturday.
Eddie Lack & Co. shook off that embarrassing Brian McGrattan goal to end a four-game losing streak and stay in the thick of things for one of the last wild card spots in the Western Conference. If nothing else, it seems like Lack has the right attitude about shaking off tough goals.
He believes that a save he made against Joe Colborne was a needed confidence-booster after that shaky center-ice tally.
“I think it was important to make that save there,” Lack said.
(Colborne echoed Lack’s sentiments after the game.)
Whether you call it a resilient performance or merely getting the job done against a low-ranked team (or both), the Canucks grabbed those key two points. Here’s how the West playoff push, particularly the bubble situation, looks after tonight’s games (via NHL.com):
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)