Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
In a month or so, we’ll know if this 2-1 win against the Calgary Flames really means anything for the Vancouver Canucks. Still, it’s probably not a stretch to say that things would get that much uglier if they didn’t gut out a win on Saturday.
Eddie Lack & Co. shook off that embarrassing Brian McGrattan goal to end a four-game losing streak and stay in the thick of things for one of the last wild card spots in the Western Conference. If nothing else, it seems like Lack has the right attitude about shaking off tough goals.
He believes that a save he made against Joe Colborne was a needed confidence-booster after that shaky center-ice tally.
“I think it was important to make that save there,” Lack said.
(Colborne echoed Lack’s sentiments after the game.)
Whether you call it a resilient performance or merely getting the job done against a low-ranked team (or both), the Canucks grabbed those key two points. Here’s how the West playoff push, particularly the bubble situation, looks after tonight’s games (via NHL.com):
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 1
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)