Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
In a month or so, we’ll know if this 2-1 win against the Calgary Flames really means anything for the Vancouver Canucks. Still, it’s probably not a stretch to say that things would get that much uglier if they didn’t gut out a win on Saturday.
Eddie Lack & Co. shook off that embarrassing Brian McGrattan goal to end a four-game losing streak and stay in the thick of things for one of the last wild card spots in the Western Conference. If nothing else, it seems like Lack has the right attitude about shaking off tough goals.
He believes that a save he made against Joe Colborne was a needed confidence-booster after that shaky center-ice tally.
“I think it was important to make that save there,” Lack said.
(Colborne echoed Lack’s sentiments after the game.)
Whether you call it a resilient performance or merely getting the job done against a low-ranked team (or both), the Canucks grabbed those key two points. Here’s how the West playoff push, particularly the bubble situation, looks after tonight’s games (via NHL.com):
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)