Kuznetsov joins Capitals for first practice, starts living his ‘dream’

Mar 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EST

kuznetsov2010getty Getty Images

Evgeny Kuznetsov said it was his “dream” to play in the NHL, but he casually shrugged off the notion that he might feel any pressure when the question was raised in his press conference Sunday morning after signing an entry-level with the Washington Capitals.

“I’m excited,” Kuznetsov said.

He was similarly dismissive about the notion that going from the KHL to North America’s smaller ice would require a major adjustment on his part.

“After first minute, no problem.” He added, “A good hockey player, it doesn’t matter where you play; big ice, small ice.”

In fact, what seemed to intimidate him the most was just the fact that he was giving an interview in English.

“When I come yesterday, first my interview in English, I’m not ready, today my second interview. I’m a little scared,” he admitted, laughing sheepishly. For what it’s worth, he seems to already have a decent command of the language, although he did occasionally stop to talk to a translator.

While he certainly seems loose, there’s no question that expectations will be high for him. That’s the case for any first round pick, but after Washington took him with the 26th overall selection in 2010, the hype about him has only been mounting as he’s excelled in the KHL.

Now he’ll be asked to join a team in the stretch run of a battle for a playoff spot. Mere days after traveling halfway across the world and with no professional hockey experience in this continent, he will likely be asked to play against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday.

“We don’t want to put him in a situation he can’t handle right now,” Capitals coach Adam Oates, per CSN Washington. “But in saying that, if we can spot him in the lineup it could be a nice spark for us.”

He does have that potential, depending on how quickly he makes the transition.

It should help that he’ll have Alex Ovechkin around to guide him. The 21-year-old forward will live with the superstar while he gets settled in. Obviously, Ovechkin has gone through a similar experience, but the two have also stayed in frequent contact while Kuznetsov was playing in the KHL.

You can watch the full video of his press conference at the Monumental Network.

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith

Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST

Logan Couture Getty Images

Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.

2. If you want to call the Sharks ‘fragile,’ Todd McLellan won’t disagree

Feb 27, 2015, 1:53 PM EST

Antti Niemi, Logan Couture, Brenden Dillon, Darren Helm AP

Were dominated by the Red Wings for the final two periods of last night’s loss.

3. Trade target Calvert (concussion) out indefinitely, says Columbus

Feb 27, 2015, 1:35 PM EST

MattCalvert

Could it keep him from getting moved by Monday?

4. Slumping Ducks hoping visit from Kings brings out some emotion

Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EST

Los Angeles Kings v Anaheim Ducks - Game Five Getty Images

“If we can’t get up emotionally for that game, then I think we have to take a deeper look at ourselves.”

5. Wild waive veteran forward Veillieux

Feb 27, 2015, 12:13 PM EST

Veilleux Getty Images

Has appeared in 12 games for Minnesota this season.

6. Sabres GM Murray: I got a trade call on a player ‘I never thought I would get’

Feb 27, 2015, 11:39 AM EST

Tim Murray

“He actually said, ‘Can you believe I’m calling you on this guy?’ And I said, ‘No, I can’t. But let’s talk.”

7. Flames lose captain Giordano for key tilt versus Isles

Feb 27, 2015, 11:13 AM EST

giordanogetty Getty Images

Norris candidate will sit after getting injured during Wednesday’s win over New Jersey; Tyler Wotherspoon has been recalled from AHL Adirondack.

8. Veteran NHLer Sopel calls it a career

Feb 27, 2015, 10:54 AM EST

Image (1) sopelwithcup-thumb-250x335-14372.jpg for post 2198 Getty Images

Announced his retirement on Friday.

Trade deadline storylines to watch
Top 10 NHL Player Searches