Mar 9, 2014, 10:08 PM EST
It wasn’t as easy as their win-loss records would indicate, but the Chicago Blackhawks still managed to take two points against the Buffalo Sabres via a 2-1 win on Sunday.
The Blackhawks are in a dogfight for playoff seeding with some strong Western Conference teams. In fact, with the St. Louis Blues still in action against the Minnesota Wild, it would be wiser to wait until after that game is over to ruminate upon Chicago’s 90 standings points.
Things truly get interesting going forward for Chicago. As the second-ranked team in the Central Division, they’ll go on the road to try to fatten their lead over the Avalanche in Colorado. The Avs are currently three points behind the ‘Hawks.
After that, the Blackhawks aim to lap up in the best remaining stretch of their season with six of their next seven contests coming in Chicago.
In other words, they aren’t leading the Central Division or the Western Conference as of this writing, but it would be foolish to count them out.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 15
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 110
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)