Mar 9, 2014, 10:08 PM EST
It wasn’t as easy as their win-loss records would indicate, but the Chicago Blackhawks still managed to take two points against the Buffalo Sabres via a 2-1 win on Sunday.
The Blackhawks are in a dogfight for playoff seeding with some strong Western Conference teams. In fact, with the St. Louis Blues still in action against the Minnesota Wild, it would be wiser to wait until after that game is over to ruminate upon Chicago’s 90 standings points.
Things truly get interesting going forward for Chicago. As the second-ranked team in the Central Division, they’ll go on the road to try to fatten their lead over the Avalanche in Colorado. The Avs are currently three points behind the ‘Hawks.
After that, the Blackhawks aim to lap up in the best remaining stretch of their season with six of their next seven contests coming in Chicago.
In other words, they aren’t leading the Central Division or the Western Conference as of this writing, but it would be foolish to count them out.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 12
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 9
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 4
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8