Mar 9, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
It wasn’t as easy as their win-loss records would indicate, but the Chicago Blackhawks still managed to take two points against the Buffalo Sabres via a 2-1 win on Sunday.
The Blackhawks are in a dogfight for playoff seeding with some strong Western Conference teams. In fact, with the St. Louis Blues still in action against the Minnesota Wild, it would be wiser to wait until after that game is over to ruminate upon Chicago’s 90 standings points.
Things truly get interesting going forward for Chicago. As the second-ranked team in the Central Division, they’ll go on the road to try to fatten their lead over the Avalanche in Colorado. The Avs are currently three points behind the ‘Hawks.
After that, the Blackhawks aim to lap up in the best remaining stretch of their season with six of their next seven contests coming in Chicago.
In other words, they aren’t leading the Central Division or the Western Conference as of this writing, but it would be foolish to count them out.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25