Mar 8, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
The Washington Capitals have had to wait a long time to get Evgeny Kuznetsov, but they are finally able to announce that they have inked the 21-year-old forward to an entry-level contract.
Kuznetsov was taken with the 26th overall pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, but until now he had been playing for the KHL’s Chelyabinsk Traktor. Although he has no experience playing professionally in North America, he’s likely to head straight for Washington rather than the minors.
Since Washington drafted him, Kuznetsov has emerged as one of the KHL’s best players, scoring 46 goals and 105 points in 131 games over the last three seasons. He ranked sixth in the KHL’s scoring race in 2012-13.
He’s also served internationally for Russia, leading the nation to a World Junior’s gold medal in 2011 with 11 points in seven contests and a World Championships’ gold in 2012 with six points in 10 games.
The Capitals are likely going to look to captain Alex Ovechkin to take Kuznetsov under his wing in the hopes that he can make a smooth transition while Washington continues its fight for a playoff spot.
Update: He will make his NHL debut on Monday, per TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 15
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)