Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
Many were surprised that the New Jersey Devils were so eager to acquire Tuomo Ruutu from the Carolina Hurricanes, but he gave his new team some early value against his old franchise on Saturday night.
The Devils’ new power forward scored the 5-4 game-winning goal, helping New Jersey avoid a comeback by Carolina, as they saw a 4-1 lead dissolve into a 4-4 tie before that Ruutu tally.
Here’s video of the goal, which was more momentous for the context than for the tally itself:
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 21
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 7
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11