Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Many were surprised that the New Jersey Devils were so eager to acquire Tuomo Ruutu from the Carolina Hurricanes, but he gave his new team some early value against his old franchise on Saturday night.
The Devils’ new power forward scored the 5-4 game-winning goal, helping New Jersey avoid a comeback by Carolina, as they saw a 4-1 lead dissolve into a 4-4 tie before that Ruutu tally.
Here’s video of the goal, which was more momentous for the context than for the tally itself:
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25