Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Many were surprised that the New Jersey Devils were so eager to acquire Tuomo Ruutu from the Carolina Hurricanes, but he gave his new team some early value against his old franchise on Saturday night.
The Devils’ new power forward scored the 5-4 game-winning goal, helping New Jersey avoid a comeback by Carolina, as they saw a 4-1 lead dissolve into a 4-4 tie before that Ruutu tally.
Here’s video of the goal, which was more momentous for the context than for the tally itself:
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 52
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5