Mar 8, 2014, 11:27 PM EST
On a night in which the Dallas Stars retired Mike Modano’s No. 9, Tyler Seguin continues to play in a way that might get his No. 91 in the rafters one day, too.
The Stars made the Minnesota Wild pay for Erik Haula charging Kari Lehtonen on Saturday, as Seguin scored the game-tying goal during a five-minute power play. The 22-year-old now has eight points in his last two games after tonight’s one-goal, two-assist output.
Erik Cole notched the game-winner with less than five minutes remaining, showing plenty of patience and skill in finding the net for the 15th time this season.
Tim Thomas came in for Lehtonen late in the game thanks to that collision and eventually received an unusual win by making all six relief saves in 13:23 of game time. The Stars may very well need him to be sharp if Lehtonen’s issues are serious.
That thought is grim, but for the most part, the Stars showed that they might have the star power to finally carry the torch from the franchise’s gravy days with Modano.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 33
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)