Mar 8, 2014, 2:42 PM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets revealed that 20-year-old rookie defenseman Ryan Murray has undergone arthroscopic knee surgery and is expected to miss the next four-to-six weeks as a result. He suffered the injury during Monday’s game.
With the 2013-14 campaign winding down, it’s likely that Murray won’t be able to return before the end of the regular season. He might even miss the start of the playoffs, assuming Columbus can get that far.
Nikitin is dealing with an upper-body injury, but did skate this morning.
Murray, 20, unfortunately already has experience dealing with significant injuries. He missed most of the 2012-13 campaign after suffering a shoulder injury that required surgery while playing for the WHL Everett Silvertips. If not for that, he would have probably made his NHL debut last season following the lockout.
The Blue Jackets took him with the second overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 6
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)