Mar 8, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets revealed that 20-year-old rookie defenseman Ryan Murray has undergone arthroscopic knee surgery and is expected to miss the next four-to-six weeks as a result. He suffered the injury during Monday’s game.
With the 2013-14 campaign winding down, it’s likely that Murray won’t be able to return before the end of the regular season. He might even miss the start of the playoffs, assuming Columbus can get that far.
Nikitin is dealing with an upper-body injury, but did skate this morning.
Murray, 20, unfortunately already has experience dealing with significant injuries. He missed most of the 2012-13 campaign after suffering a shoulder injury that required surgery while playing for the WHL Everett Silvertips. If not for that, he would have probably made his NHL debut last season following the lockout.
The Blue Jackets took him with the second overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)