Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
In two days, defenseman Rostislav Klesla was shipped from the Phoenix Coyotes to the Washington Capitals and then from the Capitals to the Buffalo Sabres. Apparently he’ll pass on being a member of the Sabres organization.
TSN’s Darren Dreger shared his quotes on Saturday, as it appears that he’ll essentially (maybe temporarily?) retire from the NHL rather than completing his assignment with Buffalo. He indicated that he’ll play in an overseas league instead, although maybe starting in 2014-15.
“With all due respect to the Sabres organization, I decided this week not to continue playing hockey this season,” Klesla said. “It has been a tough year for injury and moving several times to new teams. I will now take some time off and get ready to continue my career in Europe …”
Klesla was packaged with Chris Brown and a fourth-rounder in the Erat trade and then with Michal Neuvirth in the swap that sent Jaroslav Halak to Washington. It doesn’t sound like there will be any draft pick-related issues for Klesla, 31, declining to show up for the Sabres organization.
It has indeed been a tough season for the veteran blueliner. He’s been swapped back and forth from the AHL to the NHL and suffered a concussion from a questionable hit by Los Angeles Kings forward Jordan Nolan (who, by the way, is Sabres coach Ted Nolan’s son).
Apparently this latest move was the last straw for “Rusty.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)