Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
In two days, defenseman Rostislav Klesla was shipped from the Phoenix Coyotes to the Washington Capitals and then from the Capitals to the Buffalo Sabres. Apparently he’ll pass on being a member of the Sabres organization.
TSN’s Darren Dreger shared his quotes on Saturday, as it appears that he’ll essentially (maybe temporarily?) retire from the NHL rather than completing his assignment with Buffalo. He indicated that he’ll play in an overseas league instead, although maybe starting in 2014-15.
“With all due respect to the Sabres organization, I decided this week not to continue playing hockey this season,” Klesla said. “It has been a tough year for injury and moving several times to new teams. I will now take some time off and get ready to continue my career in Europe …”
Klesla was packaged with Chris Brown and a fourth-rounder in the Erat trade and then with Michal Neuvirth in the swap that sent Jaroslav Halak to Washington. It doesn’t sound like there will be any draft pick-related issues for Klesla, 31, declining to show up for the Sabres organization.
It has indeed been a tough season for the veteran blueliner. He’s been swapped back and forth from the AHL to the NHL and suffered a concussion from a questionable hit by Los Angeles Kings forward Jordan Nolan (who, by the way, is Sabres coach Ted Nolan’s son).
Apparently this latest move was the last straw for “Rusty.”
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 2
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)