Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
In two days, defenseman Rostislav Klesla was shipped from the Phoenix Coyotes to the Washington Capitals and then from the Capitals to the Buffalo Sabres. Apparently he’ll pass on being a member of the Sabres organization.
TSN’s Darren Dreger shared his quotes on Saturday, as it appears that he’ll essentially (maybe temporarily?) retire from the NHL rather than completing his assignment with Buffalo. He indicated that he’ll play in an overseas league instead, although maybe starting in 2014-15.
“With all due respect to the Sabres organization, I decided this week not to continue playing hockey this season,” Klesla said. “It has been a tough year for injury and moving several times to new teams. I will now take some time off and get ready to continue my career in Europe …”
Klesla was packaged with Chris Brown and a fourth-rounder in the Erat trade and then with Michal Neuvirth in the swap that sent Jaroslav Halak to Washington. It doesn’t sound like there will be any draft pick-related issues for Klesla, 31, declining to show up for the Sabres organization.
It has indeed been a tough season for the veteran blueliner. He’s been swapped back and forth from the AHL to the NHL and suffered a concussion from a questionable hit by Los Angeles Kings forward Jordan Nolan (who, by the way, is Sabres coach Ted Nolan’s son).
Apparently this latest move was the last straw for “Rusty.”
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)