Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EST
In two days, defenseman Rostislav Klesla was shipped from the Phoenix Coyotes to the Washington Capitals and then from the Capitals to the Buffalo Sabres. Apparently he’ll pass on being a member of the Sabres organization.
TSN’s Darren Dreger shared his quotes on Saturday, as it appears that he’ll essentially (maybe temporarily?) retire from the NHL rather than completing his assignment with Buffalo. He indicated that he’ll play in an overseas league instead, although maybe starting in 2014-15.
“With all due respect to the Sabres organization, I decided this week not to continue playing hockey this season,” Klesla said. “It has been a tough year for injury and moving several times to new teams. I will now take some time off and get ready to continue my career in Europe …”
Klesla was packaged with Chris Brown and a fourth-rounder in the Erat trade and then with Michal Neuvirth in the swap that sent Jaroslav Halak to Washington. It doesn’t sound like there will be any draft pick-related issues for Klesla, 31, declining to show up for the Sabres organization.
It has indeed been a tough season for the veteran blueliner. He’s been swapped back and forth from the AHL to the NHL and suffered a concussion from a questionable hit by Los Angeles Kings forward Jordan Nolan (who, by the way, is Sabres coach Ted Nolan’s son).
Apparently this latest move was the last straw for “Rusty.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 84
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (84)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)