Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EST
In two days, defenseman Rostislav Klesla was shipped from the Phoenix Coyotes to the Washington Capitals and then from the Capitals to the Buffalo Sabres. Apparently he’ll pass on being a member of the Sabres organization.
TSN’s Darren Dreger shared his quotes on Saturday, as it appears that he’ll essentially (maybe temporarily?) retire from the NHL rather than completing his assignment with Buffalo. He indicated that he’ll play in an overseas league instead, although maybe starting in 2014-15.
“With all due respect to the Sabres organization, I decided this week not to continue playing hockey this season,” Klesla said. “It has been a tough year for injury and moving several times to new teams. I will now take some time off and get ready to continue my career in Europe …”
Klesla was packaged with Chris Brown and a fourth-rounder in the Erat trade and then with Michal Neuvirth in the swap that sent Jaroslav Halak to Washington. It doesn’t sound like there will be any draft pick-related issues for Klesla, 31, declining to show up for the Sabres organization.
It has indeed been a tough season for the veteran blueliner. He’s been swapped back and forth from the AHL to the NHL and suffered a concussion from a questionable hit by Los Angeles Kings forward Jordan Nolan (who, by the way, is Sabres coach Ted Nolan’s son).
Apparently this latest move was the last straw for “Rusty.”
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (100)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)