Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Update: Stars head coach Lindy Ruff told the Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika that Lehtonen might have suffered a concussion from that hit. They expect to know more on Sunday.
The Dallas Stars acquired Tim Thomas as goaltending insurance for Kari Lehtonen. It didn’t take long for Thomas to be pressed into duty, as Minnesota Wild forward Erik Haula received a game misconduct and five-minute major for charging Lehtonen.
The 30-year-old goalie was left bloodied after the collision. Here’s video of the hit:
Tyler Seguin tied the game with a power-play goal on the resulting five-minute opportunity. That matches his career-high of 29 goals in one season, with more than a month left in the season.
It’s the kind of spirited effort that seems like a fitting honor to Mike Modano, although he probably didn’t appreciate the collision.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)