Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Update: Stars head coach Lindy Ruff told the Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika that Lehtonen might have suffered a concussion from that hit. They expect to know more on Sunday.
The Dallas Stars acquired Tim Thomas as goaltending insurance for Kari Lehtonen. It didn’t take long for Thomas to be pressed into duty, as Minnesota Wild forward Erik Haula received a game misconduct and five-minute major for charging Lehtonen.
The 30-year-old goalie was left bloodied after the collision. Here’s video of the hit:
Tyler Seguin tied the game with a power-play goal on the resulting five-minute opportunity. That matches his career-high of 29 goals in one season, with more than a month left in the season.
It’s the kind of spirited effort that seems like a fitting honor to Mike Modano, although he probably didn’t appreciate the collision.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)