Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
For the third time this season and fifth instance since the start of 2013, Detroit Red Wings goaltender Jonas Gustavsson is sidelined due to a groin injury.
Gustavsson most recently missed nine games in January due to groin problems. This time around he will at very least be unavailable for Sunday’s game against the New York Rangers (12:30 p.m. ET, NBC), according to MLive.com.
Jimmy Howard will get the nod for Detroit and Petr Mrazek has been summoned to serve as the backup netminder.
Gustavsson has been a capable understudy when he’s been healthy this season with a 2.55 GAA and .912 save percentage in 24 games.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 35
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)