Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
For the third time this season and fifth instance since the start of 2013, Detroit Red Wings goaltender Jonas Gustavsson is sidelined due to a groin injury.
Gustavsson most recently missed nine games in January due to groin problems. This time around he will at very least be unavailable for Sunday’s game against the New York Rangers (12:30 p.m. ET, NBC), according to MLive.com.
Jimmy Howard will get the nod for Detroit and Petr Mrazek has been summoned to serve as the backup netminder.
Gustavsson has been a capable understudy when he’s been healthy this season with a 2.55 GAA and .912 save percentage in 24 games.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 13
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 9
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 41
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 52
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (52)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (41)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)