Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
For the third time this season and fifth instance since the start of 2013, Detroit Red Wings goaltender Jonas Gustavsson is sidelined due to a groin injury.
Gustavsson most recently missed nine games in January due to groin problems. This time around he will at very least be unavailable for Sunday’s game against the New York Rangers (12:30 p.m. ET, NBC), according to MLive.com.
Jimmy Howard will get the nod for Detroit and Petr Mrazek has been summoned to serve as the backup netminder.
Gustavsson has been a capable understudy when he’s been healthy this season with a 2.55 GAA and .912 save percentage in 24 games.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 22
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 52
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39