Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
For the third time this season and fifth instance since the start of 2013, Detroit Red Wings goaltender Jonas Gustavsson is sidelined due to a groin injury.
Gustavsson most recently missed nine games in January due to groin problems. This time around he will at very least be unavailable for Sunday’s game against the New York Rangers (12:30 p.m. ET, NBC), according to MLive.com.
Jimmy Howard will get the nod for Detroit and Petr Mrazek has been summoned to serve as the backup netminder.
Gustavsson has been a capable understudy when he’s been healthy this season with a 2.55 GAA and .912 save percentage in 24 games.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)