Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
For the third time this season and fifth instance since the start of 2013, Detroit Red Wings goaltender Jonas Gustavsson is sidelined due to a groin injury.
Gustavsson most recently missed nine games in January due to groin problems. This time around he will at very least be unavailable for Sunday’s game against the New York Rangers (12:30 p.m. ET, NBC), according to MLive.com.
Jimmy Howard will get the nod for Detroit and Petr Mrazek has been summoned to serve as the backup netminder.
Gustavsson has been a capable understudy when he’s been healthy this season with a 2.55 GAA and .912 save percentage in 24 games.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)