Mar 8, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak has had a bit of time to meet his new teammates and get used to the idea of playing for Washington after being acquired on Wednesday. Now it’s time for him to get his first start with the Capitals.
He will play between the pipes in their game against Phoenix tonight. They’re three points shy of the second Wild Card spot and have lost three straight contests, so the Capitals need this win. Still, Halak is trying to take a calm and calculated approach.
“I started a new chapter right now and we’ll see how it’s going to go,” Halak told the Washington Post. “Obviously I’ll try to do my best but I’m not going to try to put too much pressure on me.”
While playing for St. Louis, Halak won the Jennings Trophy with Brian Elliott in 2011-12. However, his following campaign was sidetracked due to injuries and while he posted a 2.23 GAA and .917 save percentage in 40 games with the Blues this season, they ultimately discarded him in favor of Ryan Miller.
Halak is leaving one of the best defensive teams in the league, so moving to Washington will be a test for him. Still, he’s shown before that he’s capable of carrying a team. That’s what he did in 2010 playoffs when he pushed the Montreal Canadiens past the Capitals.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)