Mar 8, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
Jaroslav Halak has had a bit of time to meet his new teammates and get used to the idea of playing for Washington after being acquired on Wednesday. Now it’s time for him to get his first start with the Capitals.
He will play between the pipes in their game against Phoenix tonight. They’re three points shy of the second Wild Card spot and have lost three straight contests, so the Capitals need this win. Still, Halak is trying to take a calm and calculated approach.
“I started a new chapter right now and we’ll see how it’s going to go,” Halak told the Washington Post. “Obviously I’ll try to do my best but I’m not going to try to put too much pressure on me.”
While playing for St. Louis, Halak won the Jennings Trophy with Brian Elliott in 2011-12. However, his following campaign was sidetracked due to injuries and while he posted a 2.23 GAA and .917 save percentage in 40 games with the Blues this season, they ultimately discarded him in favor of Ryan Miller.
Halak is leaving one of the best defensive teams in the league, so moving to Washington will be a test for him. Still, he’s shown before that he’s capable of carrying a team. That’s what he did in 2010 playoffs when he pushed the Montreal Canadiens past the Capitals.
- Mike Richards clears waivers 15
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 11
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)