Mar 8, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak has had a bit of time to meet his new teammates and get used to the idea of playing for Washington after being acquired on Wednesday. Now it’s time for him to get his first start with the Capitals.
He will play between the pipes in their game against Phoenix tonight. They’re three points shy of the second Wild Card spot and have lost three straight contests, so the Capitals need this win. Still, Halak is trying to take a calm and calculated approach.
“I started a new chapter right now and we’ll see how it’s going to go,” Halak told the Washington Post. “Obviously I’ll try to do my best but I’m not going to try to put too much pressure on me.”
While playing for St. Louis, Halak won the Jennings Trophy with Brian Elliott in 2011-12. However, his following campaign was sidetracked due to injuries and while he posted a 2.23 GAA and .917 save percentage in 40 games with the Blues this season, they ultimately discarded him in favor of Ryan Miller.
Halak is leaving one of the best defensive teams in the league, so moving to Washington will be a test for him. Still, he’s shown before that he’s capable of carrying a team. That’s what he did in 2010 playoffs when he pushed the Montreal Canadiens past the Capitals.
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 1
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 3
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 5
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)