Mar 8, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak has had a bit of time to meet his new teammates and get used to the idea of playing for Washington after being acquired on Wednesday. Now it’s time for him to get his first start with the Capitals.
He will play between the pipes in their game against Phoenix tonight. They’re three points shy of the second Wild Card spot and have lost three straight contests, so the Capitals need this win. Still, Halak is trying to take a calm and calculated approach.
“I started a new chapter right now and we’ll see how it’s going to go,” Halak told the Washington Post. “Obviously I’ll try to do my best but I’m not going to try to put too much pressure on me.”
While playing for St. Louis, Halak won the Jennings Trophy with Brian Elliott in 2011-12. However, his following campaign was sidetracked due to injuries and while he posted a 2.23 GAA and .917 save percentage in 40 games with the Blues this season, they ultimately discarded him in favor of Ryan Miller.
Halak is leaving one of the best defensive teams in the league, so moving to Washington will be a test for him. Still, he’s shown before that he’s capable of carrying a team. That’s what he did in 2010 playoffs when he pushed the Montreal Canadiens past the Capitals.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)