Mar 8, 2014, 10:40 AM EST
Martin Brodeur might not retire with the New Jersey Devils after all.
Although the team ultimately held onto him as the trade deadline passed, Brodeur doesn’t want this season to be his swan song. He’s hoping to ink a new contract before the 2014-15 campaign, so long as he can find a situation he would be comfortable in.
One thing the 41-year-old goaltender doesn’t require is assurances that he’ll be the starter before he signs with any club.
“No, just to play more and have the chance to win the Stanley Cup. Be in the playoffs,” Brodeur said, per the Star-Ledger.
That might mean that he will end up re-signing with the Devils, but he isn’t promising that. When he was younger, he was committed to sticking with the Devils, even when those around him suggested that he could get more money elsewhere. Now he’s more willing to listen to others’ advice.
There’s no question Brodeur is in the twilight of his career and he might find that there isn’t a market out there for him, despite his status as one of the greatest goaltenders of all-time. So perhaps we will witness his last game in the near future, but that’s not his wish.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)