Mar 8, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Martin Brodeur might not retire with the New Jersey Devils after all.
Although the team ultimately held onto him as the trade deadline passed, Brodeur doesn’t want this season to be his swan song. He’s hoping to ink a new contract before the 2014-15 campaign, so long as he can find a situation he would be comfortable in.
One thing the 41-year-old goaltender doesn’t require is assurances that he’ll be the starter before he signs with any club.
“No, just to play more and have the chance to win the Stanley Cup. Be in the playoffs,” Brodeur said, per the Star-Ledger.
That might mean that he will end up re-signing with the Devils, but he isn’t promising that. When he was younger, he was committed to sticking with the Devils, even when those around him suggested that he could get more money elsewhere. Now he’s more willing to listen to others’ advice.
There’s no question Brodeur is in the twilight of his career and he might find that there isn’t a market out there for him, despite his status as one of the greatest goaltenders of all-time. So perhaps we will witness his last game in the near future, but that’s not his wish.
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 0
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 24
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)