Mar 8, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Martin Brodeur might not retire with the New Jersey Devils after all.
Although the team ultimately held onto him as the trade deadline passed, Brodeur doesn’t want this season to be his swan song. He’s hoping to ink a new contract before the 2014-15 campaign, so long as he can find a situation he would be comfortable in.
One thing the 41-year-old goaltender doesn’t require is assurances that he’ll be the starter before he signs with any club.
“No, just to play more and have the chance to win the Stanley Cup. Be in the playoffs,” Brodeur said, per the Star-Ledger.
That might mean that he will end up re-signing with the Devils, but he isn’t promising that. When he was younger, he was committed to sticking with the Devils, even when those around him suggested that he could get more money elsewhere. Now he’s more willing to listen to others’ advice.
There’s no question Brodeur is in the twilight of his career and he might find that there isn’t a market out there for him, despite his status as one of the greatest goaltenders of all-time. So perhaps we will witness his last game in the near future, but that’s not his wish.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)