Mar 8, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Martin Brodeur might not retire with the New Jersey Devils after all.
Although the team ultimately held onto him as the trade deadline passed, Brodeur doesn’t want this season to be his swan song. He’s hoping to ink a new contract before the 2014-15 campaign, so long as he can find a situation he would be comfortable in.
One thing the 41-year-old goaltender doesn’t require is assurances that he’ll be the starter before he signs with any club.
“No, just to play more and have the chance to win the Stanley Cup. Be in the playoffs,” Brodeur said, per the Star-Ledger.
That might mean that he will end up re-signing with the Devils, but he isn’t promising that. When he was younger, he was committed to sticking with the Devils, even when those around him suggested that he could get more money elsewhere. Now he’s more willing to listen to others’ advice.
There’s no question Brodeur is in the twilight of his career and he might find that there isn’t a market out there for him, despite his status as one of the greatest goaltenders of all-time. So perhaps we will witness his last game in the near future, but that’s not his wish.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 19
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)