Mar 8, 2014, 10:40 AM EST
Martin Brodeur might not retire with the New Jersey Devils after all.
Although the team ultimately held onto him as the trade deadline passed, Brodeur doesn’t want this season to be his swan song. He’s hoping to ink a new contract before the 2014-15 campaign, so long as he can find a situation he would be comfortable in.
One thing the 41-year-old goaltender doesn’t require is assurances that he’ll be the starter before he signs with any club.
“No, just to play more and have the chance to win the Stanley Cup. Be in the playoffs,” Brodeur said, per the Star-Ledger.
That might mean that he will end up re-signing with the Devils, but he isn’t promising that. When he was younger, he was committed to sticking with the Devils, even when those around him suggested that he could get more money elsewhere. Now he’s more willing to listen to others’ advice.
There’s no question Brodeur is in the twilight of his career and he might find that there isn’t a market out there for him, despite his status as one of the greatest goaltenders of all-time. So perhaps we will witness his last game in the near future, but that’s not his wish.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)