Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack

Mar 7, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT

Rangers v Avalanche Getty Images

Saturday will mark the 10-year anniversary of Todd Bertuzzi‘s infamous attack on Steve Moore in a game between the Vancouver Canucks and Colorado Avalanche.

Moore, who will be 36 years of age in September, has never played a game since, and to this day he still suffers headaches, according to a report by The Canadian Press.

A trial date for Moore’s civil lawsuit against Bertuzzi and the Canucks is set for Sept. 8 in Ontario court, according to The National Post. On March 8, 2004, Moore was sucker-punched by Bertuzzi and fell motionless to the ice. He was taken off the ice on a stretcher, suffering three fractured vertebrae and a concussion.

“I think about it at times like this,” Moore told The Canadian Press. “When the anniversary comes around, it’s hard not to reflect on the impact this has had on my life, which is dramatic.

“At the same time I think a lot about how grateful I am that this wasn’t worse. Every time I watch it I have the same reaction other people have, which is shock and disgust. It’s just a little stronger when it’s yourself you’re looking at and when you’re aware of everything that happened in the three weeks leading up to it — the threats and all those things.”

Towards the end of February, it was reported that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly are prepared to testify at the trial.

1. 101starmymedic - Mar 7, 2014 at 9:19 PM

waaaa headaches. crybaby.

• sportsfaninyyc - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Did you get out of the army on a Section 8?

• 101starmymedic - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:34 PM

No I’m actually a few months away from being a Critical Care Flight Paramedic in the Army.
        Section 8 does not exist. Go watch more movies.

• Professor Fate - Mar 8, 2014 at 12:14 AM

A heartless reply from a human, pathetic coming from someone who says they’re a medic. I’d wish a Chapter 5-13 on you, but then I’d lower myself to your level.

• jhaegs - Mar 8, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Seems more like the type that lives in Section 8 housing…

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 8, 2014 at 3:07 AM

In other words you’re still a boot. Either that or you’re a member of the Call of Duty 101st.

• mcstank - Mar 8, 2014 at 10:46 AM

You are an ignorant tool. Watch the video better yet watch the whole game again so you can understand the situation. He was defenseless to that hammer bertuzzi threw. This all after being messed with already for most of that game. Realize his livelihood and dream of playing hockey doing so were ended right there with a pu**y a**ed cheap shot.

• petefrenna1 - Mar 10, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Have some respect for our fellow man A**hole.

• petefrenna1 - Mar 10, 2014 at 10:16 PM

FYI its to 101starmtmedic. Inconsiderate c**ksucker

2. President Charles Logan - Mar 7, 2014 at 9:21 PM

this guy needs to move on and get over it already .

• blackhawksdynasty - Mar 7, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Seriously?!?!?!
      You and the 101 idiot who commented above apparently have never been affected by a traumatic event. Try walking in someone else’s shoes before making a total a$$ of yourself.
      You’re a disgrace to human beings.

• 101starmymedic - Mar 7, 2014 at 9:54 PM

I’m a US Army Combat Medic smart guy. I’ve seen more trauma and REAL injuries and people recover from much much worse than this. He broke some bones and now he has headaches. I know a Green Beret who had both of his legs blown off from the knee down. He took one year to recover, 6 more months to rehab. He is now running missions AGAIN in Afghanistan.

Moore’s a joke in my line of work. Laughable really.

• strictlythedanks - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Cool story, that doesnt entitle you to be pompous d bag.

“OOOOO look at me I’m in the army i can say any absurd thing I want cause I’m better than you”

• 101starmymedic - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:14 PM

I never said anything like that. I’m not better than anyone. Empathy brought me here, however, there are people I have no empathy for, like Moore. He threw a nasty elbow and Bertuzzi retaliated. Tie-game.

Any self-respecting person would think, wow there are people who are getting shot at and blown up and suffering life-ending and seriously life-altering injuries and here I am complaining of headaches after I purposefully elbowed a guy in the face with a nasty elbow. He should be ashamed, he throws that elbow then gets jacked up and he’s the victim all of the sudden.

Then you have Moore, who has headaches….. after he was retaliated against for a dirty, nasty, purposeful elbow.

I’m not better than anyone. My opinion is just different from yours, as is my life experience.

• blackhawksdynasty - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Yeah, ok “smart guy”

You’re earning plenty of respect with your BS sitting at a keyboard hiding behind an anonymous screen name.

We can all pretend to be somebody special that way….

Hang on, I have to call my butler, my tea is too cold…

Fool.

• strictlythedanks - Mar 8, 2014 at 12:54 AM

I sure as hell wouldnt want you as my medic!!!!!!

you jaboni

• dueman - Mar 8, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Really? If I needed medical attention, the last thing that I would be concerned with, is the medic’s opinion on a hockey situation…but hey, maybe I’m just stupid that way.

• jhaegs - Mar 8, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Oh ya??? I’m Batman… I win.

• President Charles Logan - Mar 8, 2014 at 2:03 AM

you’re not walking in those shoes either so shut up and take off the mighty mouse cape and quit tryin to play the hero act

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 8, 2014 at 3:11 AM

@101 you sound like a god damned pogue to me with your bogus war stories. I seriously doubt your a combat medic or ever seen any trigger time tough guy. I bet you’re a nurse at walter reed.

• ibieiniid - Mar 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Lol I’m sorry. 101starmedic embodies the term douchebag.

• esracerx46 - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Steve Moore’s life is forever changed. Forget the millions he will never see. He is lucky to be alive because of someone’s revenge. What Steve Moore did to Naslund was borderline reckless. What Bertuzzi did to Moore is a disgrace to mankind. Moore is lucky to be alive.

Sometimes we forget that Hockey is a game. Should a guy be savagely attacked from behind and nearly killed because of a game? I like being entertained, what Bertuzzi did is not entertainment, nor part of the game.

I don’t wish Steve Moore’s side affects on anyone, but some people do need a dose of it from time to time.

• ikillchicken - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:43 PM

This was a terrible incident without a doubt. But saying he was “nearly killed” is being pretty over-dramatic. It was never actually a life threatening injury.

• esracerx46 - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Look at Michael Schumacher right now and tell me how different the two situations are. Schumacher hit his head on a rock while wearing a helmet. Still in a coma. Yeah, Steve Moore COULD have died.

• kaptaanamerica - Mar 8, 2014 at 1:15 AM

All of this could could have been avoided if Moore had fought someone his own size instead of that idiot Cooke. Moore was happy to fight Cooke just not Linden or anyone else his size. Moore turned down a bunch of challenges before fighting Moore.he has to take some responsibility for what happened instead of blaming Bertuzzi for everything.

Bert should pay for his part of the damage and he did cross a line, but Moore’s own teammates piled on top of him and may have aggravated or caused his injuries.

3. imgoingtowichita - Mar 7, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Agreed mr president

4. penguins87and71 - Mar 7, 2014 at 9:30 PM

So a guy who was basically assaulted on the ice, and had to be stretchered off the ice can’t be disgusted about the whole situation? If that happened to me you better believe I would be still disgusted at the incident, and still be fuming at Bertuzzi. So your saying if this happened to you wouldn’t be disgusted?

5. canucks30 - Mar 7, 2014 at 9:35 PM

This is the story that never ends…

• biasedhomer - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:11 PM

How can it end? He has received permanent injuries.

6. broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 7, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Looks like some people should have their necks broken, lives permanently altered and careers ended to see what its like. Karma is a Mother F***er. I hope he gets every penny of that 38m.

• sumkat - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Eh. I agree to a point

he should get SOME money. He shouldn’t (and won’t) get 38m. No way he can prove that kind financial loss (pain and suffering only give you so much). Bertuzzi obviously went outside the “rules” of the game, he was suspended for a LONG time because of it. So he should definitely have to give him some money, but a 2nd/3rd line guy would not have made 38m in his career. He could MAYBE prove 10m in financial losses, and that’s not even sure. He wasn’t so good that there would be no doubt he’d still be in the nhl 5-6 years after that. Then for a while there, NHL contracts go very top heavy, and it was guys like him that felt most of that crunch

Like I said, he should get something, but not 38 mil. Take 10 and live your life

Either way, after a decade, over 50% will go to his lawyers. Trust me, I worked for them for a few years, they literally bill you for every page they print that might have something to do with you. Not to mention time, research, tests, experts, etc etc. The % of a settlement they get is usually just want they get from the jump, it doesn’t include their “costs”

• Professor Fate - Mar 8, 2014 at 12:22 AM

Most injury-attorney contingency fees are in the 25%-33% range. Moore could have agreed to a higher percentage, but his case is relatively strong so anything more than a third would have been unnecessary.

• sumkat - Mar 8, 2014 at 12:40 AM

that does not include paperwork, legal filings, research, reports, experts, paralegals working on your case, etc etc. The lawyers don’t pay for that out of their cut

7. ibieiniid - Mar 7, 2014 at 9:46 PM

blackhawksdynasty, empathy is an art I guess.

• blackhawksdynasty - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Sad, isn’t it?

8. datsyukdominates - Mar 7, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Would Steve Moore have this same attitude if the vicious elbow he throw and knocked out Marcus Nasland with, had ended MN’s career?? After all, it was that incident that started this entire mess. Moore was a dirty player who got a bit of his own medicine, simple as that. In fact most believe his injuries wouldn’t have been nearly as bad if so many people, specifically his teammates, hadn’t piled on.

9. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Every time I see Bertuzzi’s ugly face and stupid neck tattoo still playing games I’m also disgusted.

10. sumkat - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Should of got over it years ago

I know it doesn’t sound right, but he knew it was coming. In that situation, you drop the gloves, take your lumps (or give them if possible) and move on. Every hockey player knows it. Did Bertuzzi go too far? Of course (especially with the extra couple shots he put in after Moore was out). But you chose to play a dangerous game, where fighting is part of the game

Move on with your life. Even if he does win any lawsuit, he’ll probably lose most of any judgement to the decade of legal fees for keeping this thing going

• mcsquishy - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Moore did answer the call and fought Matt Cooke 6 minutes into the game.

http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/?collection=72&show=302242 <- memory refresher for all.

Moore would have been suspended by the league if that hit had happened today but his hit, though a bad play/dangerous hit on his part, wasn't unique to the game. It's happened before and still happens today.

What Bertuzzi did was beyond "answering the bell" and deplorable.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 8, 2014 at 3:26 AM

He’ll make out (rightfully so) even after the lawyers take their 30% or so.

11. vm113 - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I was disgusted with what Moore did to Naslund. You asked for it buddy, don’t cry me a river now.

12. mackattack29 - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:22 PM

All of the people saying get over it. I don’t care if you’ve been in the army or whatever. I lost my leg in a farming accident in 2011. Anything from a lost leg to chronic headaches are all difficult and make life all the more difficult. You can’t judge one persons trauma/result from that trauma as more of less difficult to deal with than another. And until you have truly suffered and lost you can’t possibly understand what I’m saying. Because anyone would look at me and say hey look at him. He has it worse than most. But I disagree. Everyone has their own potential setbacks in life and this is steve moores. He has every right to try to get justice in an event that he feel was unlawful. That’s kind of the whole point of living in a governed state of humanity. That there is consequences for a guy like bertuzzi’s actions. So everyone just shut up and support the guy. Everyone needs support, enough of this tough love, get over it, bull*hit.

• 101starmymedic - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Wrong. That’s like saying,

“It’s ok you shot a guy in a home invasion, his brother should have never tried to shoot back at you especially since you ended up crippled from the waist down. You have every right to sue.”

He DOVE into his face with his elbow. I’m ok with him having headaches and that his dirty elbowing ace is also no longer in the league.

• ikillchicken - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Then you’re probably a terrible person. I mean, I agree that it isn’t really fair how people line up to crucify Bertuzzi when what he actually did wasn’t much worse or certainly any more dangerous than numerous dirty elbows and other plays including Moore’s. But if you seriously think anyone “deserves” to deal with a brain injury for the rest of their life just because of a hockey play then you really need to rethink your priorities. And this is coming from a Canucks fan.

• jhaegs - Mar 8, 2014 at 1:29 AM

You’re an idiot, and a disgrace. Home invasions, shooting people, their brother shooting back, crippled… WTF are you talking about??? I hope they don’t allow you to use a weapon. You seem more like the type that is handed a rape whistle, instead of a firearm. Get over yourself, Billy Bada$$- it’s people like you that give real soldiers (i.e. my brother) a bad name.

Remember: Don’t ask, don’t tell… 😉

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 8, 2014 at 3:28 AM

Seriously dude, you’re a friggin retard.

• xbrightxredxbloodx - Mar 8, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Soldier to Soldier here 101… stfu. Don’t make us look like a bunch of tools. Moore absolutely deserved the retaliation he received, but no one deserves the consequences of said retaliation, especially during a GAME. (not aforementioned home invasion, in which case cripple the knucklehead)

• laxnhockey - Mar 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM

If your story is true, many of us will look for the day you are no longer a medic in the swampland. Feces like you belong in the toilet.

13. nyjetblue - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I hate these self glorifying pricks that wrap themselves up in the flag and make everything about people fighting and dying in Afghanistan and how they all deserve all our attention.

14. hosewater2 - Mar 8, 2014 at 12:18 AM

The only people that will benefit from a judgment against Bertuzzi et al are Moore’s lawyers. You think he’s crying now? Just wait until jury can’t convict.

15. dumbassgreg - Mar 8, 2014 at 12:37 AM

wow amazed at the lack of compassion or humanity in many of these posts. guess i am the dumbass i do feel sorry for moore. yes he did try to hit nasland with a elbow but he did not deserve to almost die.

16. hosewater2 - Mar 8, 2014 at 12:52 AM

Hey I’m sympathetic to Moore, but there’s no way to prove that Bertuzzi intended an outcome like this. I’m know he’d like to have it back. How many of us have one day or action you’d like back?

The outcome of these proceedings will not give Moore his fringe career back, it won’t wipe away Bertuzzi’s guilt, but it might pad the pockets of Moore’s lawyers.

17. canada2014gold - Mar 8, 2014 at 3:38 AM

What the above man said is right, put it in perspective. Hockey could turn ugly at any time, there are worse things than headaches. He should have backed himself up instead of turtle-ing (brown), if you start something you should be able to answer the bell. Also buddy I feel bad that you went to the Middle East, your a hero in my eyes. It’s too bad your comrads didn’t show up to help you. They clearly got lost in Iraq.

• mcsquishy - Mar 8, 2014 at 9:20 AM

He didn’t turtle, he fought in the first period (as mentioned above). This is also the second game the two played against each other after the initial Naslund hit… How many times should he be expected to “answer the bell”. The Canucks were down 8-2 at the time and Bertuzzi sucker punched him before driving his face into the ice.

18. ruthlessandtoothless - Mar 8, 2014 at 3:39 AM

You can compare him to the armed forces all you want, but imagine you had the chance to make millions as a pro athlete and instead someone took it all away from you because of one decision to check a player on his team. He had his whole life trajectory changed. I’m not trying to take away from the troops but just because there are people in worse conditions doesn’t mean a man can’t take action on his own personal injustices.

• jhaegs - Mar 8, 2014 at 4:01 AM

Nope. Unless you get your legs blown off, you’re not allowed to complain.

19. canada2014gold - Mar 8, 2014 at 3:43 AM

Well said

20. buffalo65 - Mar 8, 2014 at 6:16 AM

Call Moore chicken all you want. He was skating away from Bert and was attacked. What if John Scott skated up behind Kessel. Punched him and broke his neck. Would he play again? Bert is lucky he was allowed back.

21. buffalo65 - Mar 8, 2014 at 6:18 AM

Any league that allows fighting as it’s number one way to curb violence deserves everything it gets.

22. flyboystransport - Mar 8, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Has anyone here saying it’s not a big deal ever had Spinal damage before? Exactly. Im happy he’s recovered the way he has but I dont agree with the suit. Hockey is a dangerous line of work and you run the risk of major injuries which as a professional you know about. How much did moore get from insurance compensation?

23. joey4id - Mar 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Moore’s career ended that day and his life was forever changed because of deliberate, disgusting and repulsive acts of retribution in the history of the NHL. This was not an accident or hockey play that comes with the risks of being a professional hockey player. Moore, like every other citizen has every right to use the law to be compensated for what was brutally taken away.

This incident has also changed Bertuzzi forever who will always be remembered for being the brutal assailant who ended the career of player. It’s an all around sad story with no winners. I hope one day both can sit at the same table and have a conversation.

24. williplett - Mar 8, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Remind yourself of just what happened there. Moore had already fought in this game and Bertuzzi jumps him midway through the third period of a game that was already 8-2 Aves. I have been watching hockey for thirty five years and this is the most unsportsmanlike thing I have ever seen in a hockey game.

• pone27 - Mar 8, 2014 at 10:34 AM

The fact that Bertuzzi even literally grabbed the back of his jersey to slow Moore down and basically pulled Moore into the sucker punch is even more disturbing.

In all of my some odd 25 years of watching the game, never seen anything like this either. Only thing I have seen come close to this is McSorelys swing of his stick at Brashears head.

Regardless, those who are on here who are/claim to be in the military. I have friends who are still overseas who can’t be on a website like this, I have friends who were green berets, served in the Army, still serving in the Air Force. NONE of them would ever make comments like said above. I, and am sure everyone on here have a ton of respect for however you choose to serve our Country, but this is not war, this is a sport.

• mcstank - Mar 8, 2014 at 11:00 AM

What was the purpose of the guy stating he is in the military in the first point. SOME people in the armed services can be total doucher’s. “Hey guys I’m in the military steve moore was just a huge b***h for getting blindsided in which his career was cut short.. but dont worry I’ll make tool bag comments and it’s ok because I’m in the army.”

• jimeejohnson - Mar 8, 2014 at 11:49 AM

The so called medic is a major POS.

• mackstrong2013 - Mar 14, 2014 at 11:42 AM

This is a perfect example of how the outcome far outweighs the act. On what planet does a sucker punch register as more heinous an act than blindsiding a man with a weapon?

25. lasfigler - Mar 8, 2014 at 11:30 AM

mr flight medic you dont need to confirm with us that youre smart. the prereqs for paramedic training are emt certs and a 10th grade reading level

26. broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 8, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Toccs and Granato should have hopped the divider and beat the smirk off of that smug prick Crawford.

27. hockeydon10 - Mar 8, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I’m a little curious how the league generally handles one player injuring another outside of the supplemental discipline aspect.

I’d be shocked if players don’t already sign waivers with the league that they can’t sue another player for causing an injury.

While the scope of this particular injury is deplorable, why aren’t other players suing each other left and right over injuries where one is out of the game for extended periods. I know insurance covers something like 75% of a player’s contract while injured. Why don’t we see dozens of lawsuits (to cover the other 25%) every year when one player’s actions injure another?

I’d bet the bottom line is that, through the league, they agree not to do so. In Moore’s case, he’s challenging that binding agreement as well as suing Bert for every dollar he’s earned in his entire career.

28. johnnyeight08 - Mar 8, 2014 at 10:09 PM

I don’t think that Moore will come out of this lawsuit winning, part of being a member of the NHLPA and well, play in the NHL is the agreement between the players and the league regarding all kinds of things, including liability, it’s part of the collective bargaining agreement. Lawsuits just ensure that the letter of the law is followed, without any moral judgements being made. What Bertuzzi did was terrible, but an argument that may come out is whether or not he actually “did the damage” as far as I knew, the damage was due to the pile of players that fell on top of Moore, not necessarily the punch. I would guess that Bertuzzi will argue that he didn’t intend this to happen to Moore, and perhaps didn’t think this would happen. All of that will work against Moore.

Another point to make is a closer look at Moore’s career in general, he had not even had a seasons worth of NHL hockey under his belt, and 39 mil is quite a bit for a player who barely cracked an NHL lineup. He was on a 2 way deal as far as I know, and was even offered a contract by Burke for 425 000 to try to resurrect his career.

Again I’m just an observer here like everyone else, but I have a funny feeling that the NHL were and are very by the book in a legal sense and in their own law. It seems like they did everything correctly and even though it was a pretty bad act by Bertuzzi, from a legal sense, I would be shocked if the NHL was held liable and negligent. But I’ve been surprised before.

29. niceguy71 - Mar 10, 2014 at 6:00 AM

Maybe now you can do a story about Naslund, who this bag of pucks cheap-shotted in the head with an elbow…..which is what precipitated this.

30. mackstrong2013 - Mar 11, 2014 at 9:28 AM

I wouldn’t wish what I’m sure he deals with daily on anyone. That said, as a hockey player, he was a bum. He will likely get as much, or more than he would have ever made actually lacing them up. He head hunted a franchises best player and captain, it was coming. Bertuzzi had no right to do what he did, but I cant help but wonder if Moore ever thinks how different things would be if he had just turned around and answered the bell.

31. sunderlanding - Mar 12, 2014 at 10:34 PM

What Bertuzzi did was wrong, and he deserves everything he gets, but Moore acts like he’s completely innocent. Does he forget about the nasty hit he through a couple games before?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches