Mar 7, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Saturday will mark the 10-year anniversary of Todd Bertuzzi‘s infamous attack on Steve Moore in a game between the Vancouver Canucks and Colorado Avalanche.
Moore, who will be 36 years of age in September, has never played a game since, and to this day he still suffers headaches, according to a report by The Canadian Press.
A trial date for Moore’s civil lawsuit against Bertuzzi and the Canucks is set for Sept. 8 in Ontario court, according to The National Post. On March 8, 2004, Moore was sucker-punched by Bertuzzi and fell motionless to the ice. He was taken off the ice on a stretcher, suffering three fractured vertebrae and a concussion.
“I think about it at times like this,” Moore told The Canadian Press. “When the anniversary comes around, it’s hard not to reflect on the impact this has had on my life, which is dramatic.
“At the same time I think a lot about how grateful I am that this wasn’t worse. Every time I watch it I have the same reaction other people have, which is shock and disgust. It’s just a little stronger when it’s yourself you’re looking at and when you’re aware of everything that happened in the three weeks leading up to it — the threats and all those things.”
Towards the end of February, it was reported that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly are prepared to testify at the trial.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)