Mar 7, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Saturday will mark the 10-year anniversary of Todd Bertuzzi‘s infamous attack on Steve Moore in a game between the Vancouver Canucks and Colorado Avalanche.
Moore, who will be 36 years of age in September, has never played a game since, and to this day he still suffers headaches, according to a report by The Canadian Press.
A trial date for Moore’s civil lawsuit against Bertuzzi and the Canucks is set for Sept. 8 in Ontario court, according to The National Post. On March 8, 2004, Moore was sucker-punched by Bertuzzi and fell motionless to the ice. He was taken off the ice on a stretcher, suffering three fractured vertebrae and a concussion.
“I think about it at times like this,” Moore told The Canadian Press. “When the anniversary comes around, it’s hard not to reflect on the impact this has had on my life, which is dramatic.
“At the same time I think a lot about how grateful I am that this wasn’t worse. Every time I watch it I have the same reaction other people have, which is shock and disgust. It’s just a little stronger when it’s yourself you’re looking at and when you’re aware of everything that happened in the three weeks leading up to it — the threats and all those things.”
Towards the end of February, it was reported that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly are prepared to testify at the trial.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)