Mar 7, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Saturday will mark the 10-year anniversary of Todd Bertuzzi‘s infamous attack on Steve Moore in a game between the Vancouver Canucks and Colorado Avalanche.
Moore, who will be 36 years of age in September, has never played a game since, and to this day he still suffers headaches, according to a report by The Canadian Press.
A trial date for Moore’s civil lawsuit against Bertuzzi and the Canucks is set for Sept. 8 in Ontario court, according to The National Post. On March 8, 2004, Moore was sucker-punched by Bertuzzi and fell motionless to the ice. He was taken off the ice on a stretcher, suffering three fractured vertebrae and a concussion.
“I think about it at times like this,” Moore told The Canadian Press. “When the anniversary comes around, it’s hard not to reflect on the impact this has had on my life, which is dramatic.
“At the same time I think a lot about how grateful I am that this wasn’t worse. Every time I watch it I have the same reaction other people have, which is shock and disgust. It’s just a little stronger when it’s yourself you’re looking at and when you’re aware of everything that happened in the three weeks leading up to it — the threats and all those things.”
Towards the end of February, it was reported that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly are prepared to testify at the trial.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)