Mar 7, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Saturday will mark the 10-year anniversary of Todd Bertuzzi‘s infamous attack on Steve Moore in a game between the Vancouver Canucks and Colorado Avalanche.
Moore, who will be 36 years of age in September, has never played a game since, and to this day he still suffers headaches, according to a report by The Canadian Press.
A trial date for Moore’s civil lawsuit against Bertuzzi and the Canucks is set for Sept. 8 in Ontario court, according to The National Post. On March 8, 2004, Moore was sucker-punched by Bertuzzi and fell motionless to the ice. He was taken off the ice on a stretcher, suffering three fractured vertebrae and a concussion.
“I think about it at times like this,” Moore told The Canadian Press. “When the anniversary comes around, it’s hard not to reflect on the impact this has had on my life, which is dramatic.
“At the same time I think a lot about how grateful I am that this wasn’t worse. Every time I watch it I have the same reaction other people have, which is shock and disgust. It’s just a little stronger when it’s yourself you’re looking at and when you’re aware of everything that happened in the three weeks leading up to it — the threats and all those things.”
Towards the end of February, it was reported that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly are prepared to testify at the trial.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)