Mar 7, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Officially back in a Florida Panthers uniform for the first time since April 18, 2006, Roberto Luongo recorded the shutout over the Buffalo Sabres on Friday.
Luongo, the star 34-year-old goalie who was dealt from the Vancouver Canucks to the Panthers the day before the trade deadline, made 25 saves and the Panthers scored twice on eight power play opportunities for a 2-0 win over the Sabres.
Not helping matters for the Sabres was the fact Marcus Foligno was ejected less than seven minutes into the game, after receiving a boarding major for a hit on Brandon Pirri.
Luongo was making his first NHL start since Feb. 8. That’s in part because of the Olympic break – he started once for Team Canada in the preliminary round – also because Vancouver’s head coach John Tortorella decided not to start Luongo for Sunday’s Heritage Classic at BC Place Stadium.
His agent, Pat Brisson, made it clear later this week that the decision to bench Luongo for the big spectacle – the finale in the NHL Stadium Series – helped expedite the process of a trade.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 8
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 35
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)