Mar 7, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Officially back in a Florida Panthers uniform for the first time since April 18, 2006, Roberto Luongo recorded the shutout over the Buffalo Sabres on Friday.
Luongo, the star 34-year-old goalie who was dealt from the Vancouver Canucks to the Panthers the day before the trade deadline, made 25 saves and the Panthers scored twice on eight power play opportunities for a 2-0 win over the Sabres.
Not helping matters for the Sabres was the fact Marcus Foligno was ejected less than seven minutes into the game, after receiving a boarding major for a hit on Brandon Pirri.
Luongo was making his first NHL start since Feb. 8. That’s in part because of the Olympic break – he started once for Team Canada in the preliminary round – also because Vancouver’s head coach John Tortorella decided not to start Luongo for Sunday’s Heritage Classic at BC Place Stadium.
His agent, Pat Brisson, made it clear later this week that the decision to bench Luongo for the big spectacle – the finale in the NHL Stadium Series – helped expedite the process of a trade.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 29
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)