Mar 7, 2014, 9:07 AM EDT
The help the Washington Capitals have been waiting for since 2010 may finally be on the way.
According to Igor Eronko of Sports.ru and Dmitry Chesnokov of Yahoo! Sports, Capitals 2010 first-round pick Evgeny Kuznetsov has terminated his contract with his KHL team, Traktor Chelyabinsk, and is headed to Washington to join the Caps.
The Caps have been holding out hope Kuznetsov would join them since they took him 26th overall in 2010 believing he’d be a natural fit to play alongside Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin. Now with Semin in Carolina, Ovechkin is set up to be his mentor and having a three-time NHL MVP to be that can’t be all that bad.
As for Kuznetsov’s feelings on departing Chelyabinsk for the NHL, you could say it’s nature’s calling.
With the Capitals in a battle to make the postseason, if Kuznetsov can fit in right away and add some punch to the lineup, it’ll be a huge boost to a team that needs it.
This season for Traktor, Kuznetsov had eight goals and 21 points in 31 games. Caps fans may want to keep their expectations in check for the time being as he adjusts to the NHL.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)