Mar 7, 2014, 9:07 AM EDT
The help the Washington Capitals have been waiting for since 2010 may finally be on the way.
According to Igor Eronko of Sports.ru and Dmitry Chesnokov of Yahoo! Sports, Capitals 2010 first-round pick Evgeny Kuznetsov has terminated his contract with his KHL team, Traktor Chelyabinsk, and is headed to Washington to join the Caps.
The Caps have been holding out hope Kuznetsov would join them since they took him 26th overall in 2010 believing he’d be a natural fit to play alongside Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin. Now with Semin in Carolina, Ovechkin is set up to be his mentor and having a three-time NHL MVP to be that can’t be all that bad.
As for Kuznetsov’s feelings on departing Chelyabinsk for the NHL, you could say it’s nature’s calling.
With the Capitals in a battle to make the postseason, if Kuznetsov can fit in right away and add some punch to the lineup, it’ll be a huge boost to a team that needs it.
This season for Traktor, Kuznetsov had eight goals and 21 points in 31 games. Caps fans may want to keep their expectations in check for the time being as he adjusts to the NHL.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)