Mar 7, 2014, 9:07 AM EDT
The help the Washington Capitals have been waiting for since 2010 may finally be on the way.
According to Igor Eronko of Sports.ru and Dmitry Chesnokov of Yahoo! Sports, Capitals 2010 first-round pick Evgeny Kuznetsov has terminated his contract with his KHL team, Traktor Chelyabinsk, and is headed to Washington to join the Caps.
The Caps have been holding out hope Kuznetsov would join them since they took him 26th overall in 2010 believing he’d be a natural fit to play alongside Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin. Now with Semin in Carolina, Ovechkin is set up to be his mentor and having a three-time NHL MVP to be that can’t be all that bad.
As for Kuznetsov’s feelings on departing Chelyabinsk for the NHL, you could say it’s nature’s calling.
With the Capitals in a battle to make the postseason, if Kuznetsov can fit in right away and add some punch to the lineup, it’ll be a huge boost to a team that needs it.
This season for Traktor, Kuznetsov had eight goals and 21 points in 31 games. Caps fans may want to keep their expectations in check for the time being as he adjusts to the NHL.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)