Mar 7, 2014, 11:03 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings and New Jersey Devils are both in the bottom half of the league when it comes to scoring, sitting 17th and 23rd, respectively, in goals-for per game.
They both took a break from the norm on Friday, combining for 11 goals, all but one of which came in the final 40 minutes of play. One of those included this beauty off the stick of Jaromir Jagr, who beat two Detroit defenders before ripping a wrist shot top corner. In the end, the Red Wings went on to win the scoring fest, by a final of 7-4.
It was a close game at one point, with the Devils actually leading in the second period. And then the Red Wings began pumping the puck past goalie Cory Schneider with steady volume.
Schneider, who remained in the net for all seven goals, added: “We were right there, we had a 3-2 lead and then the wheels came off for me personally and just as a team.”
Before tonight, Schneider had never given up more than five goals in an NHL game.—
Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) March 08, 2014
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 26
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 57
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (57)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)