Mar 7, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
All the latest from the crease…
Roberto Luongo will play as a member of the Florida Panthers for the first time in nearly eight years on Friday night, when the Cats take on the Sabres in Sunrise.
Luongo, acquired from Vancouver on Tuesday, said he’s excited to rejoin the team he played with from 2002-06, earning his first-ever nomination as a Vezina finalist in ’04.
“It’s going to be fun,” Luongo said, per NHL.com. “It’s been a long time since I’ve played as a Panther here. I’m excited to play in front of the crowd and hopefully there’ll be a lot of them and we get a win.”
For the Sabres, it’s a debut of a different kind — Michal Neuvirth will suit up for Buffalo for the first time since being acquired at Wednesday’s trade deadline. The Czech netminder was the odd man out in Washington this year, making just 13 appearances, but should get some legit playing time in Buffalo down the stretch as a number of young players are auditioning for jobs.
Islanders at Flames: Joni Ortio for Calgary, no word on New York starter.
Penguins at Ducks: Jonas Hiller likely for Anaheim, no word on Pittsburgh starter.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)