Mar 7, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
All the latest from the crease…
Roberto Luongo will play as a member of the Florida Panthers for the first time in nearly eight years on Friday night, when the Cats take on the Sabres in Sunrise.
Luongo, acquired from Vancouver on Tuesday, said he’s excited to rejoin the team he played with from 2002-06, earning his first-ever nomination as a Vezina finalist in ’04.
“It’s going to be fun,” Luongo said, per NHL.com. “It’s been a long time since I’ve played as a Panther here. I’m excited to play in front of the crowd and hopefully there’ll be a lot of them and we get a win.”
For the Sabres, it’s a debut of a different kind — Michal Neuvirth will suit up for Buffalo for the first time since being acquired at Wednesday’s trade deadline. The Czech netminder was the odd man out in Washington this year, making just 13 appearances, but should get some legit playing time in Buffalo down the stretch as a number of young players are auditioning for jobs.
Islanders at Flames: Joni Ortio for Calgary, no word on New York starter.
Penguins at Ducks: Jonas Hiller likely for Anaheim, no word on Pittsburgh starter.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)