Mar 7, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
All the latest from the crease…
Roberto Luongo will play as a member of the Florida Panthers for the first time in nearly eight years on Friday night, when the Cats take on the Sabres in Sunrise.
Luongo, acquired from Vancouver on Tuesday, said he’s excited to rejoin the team he played with from 2002-06, earning his first-ever nomination as a Vezina finalist in ’04.
“It’s going to be fun,” Luongo said, per NHL.com. “It’s been a long time since I’ve played as a Panther here. I’m excited to play in front of the crowd and hopefully there’ll be a lot of them and we get a win.”
For the Sabres, it’s a debut of a different kind — Michal Neuvirth will suit up for Buffalo for the first time since being acquired at Wednesday’s trade deadline. The Czech netminder was the odd man out in Washington this year, making just 13 appearances, but should get some legit playing time in Buffalo down the stretch as a number of young players are auditioning for jobs.
Islanders at Flames: Joni Ortio for Calgary, no word on New York starter.
Penguins at Ducks: Jonas Hiller likely for Anaheim, no word on Pittsburgh starter.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)