Mar 7, 2014, 1:24 PM EST
It’s becoming pretty evident Dan Bylsma is a big San Jose fan.
Following Thursday’s 5-3 loss to the Sharks at the SAP Center, the Pittsburgh head coach was — once again — full of praise for his black-and-teal clad opponents.
“They play not only a physical game, but a fast game,” Bylsma said, per CSN Bay Area. “They counter quickly, got to the offensive zone and played that type of game. I think in the second half of that game we just weren’t able to negate that by playing back in the other end.
“We saw them come at us with that speed and that size, and they’re maybe the best team in the league at getting pucks and bodies to the cage.”
Bylsma, you may recall, heaped huge praise on the Sharks prior to a matchup in early December, calling them the NHL’s strongest team.
“With all due respect to Chicago, [San Jose] is the best team in the league right now,” Bylsma said at the time, as per Pens Inside Scoop. “They way they come at you, the way they play — I think [they’re] the best team in the league.”
It’s possible some of Bylsma’s admiration comes from a guy he coached at the Winter Olympics in Sochi — American center Joe Pavelski. The Sharks forward was lethal against Pittsburgh on Thursday night, finishing with a game-high three assists while racking up a team-high 23:46 TOI.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 3
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2