Mar 7, 2014, 1:24 PM EDT
It’s becoming pretty evident Dan Bylsma is a big San Jose fan.
Following Thursday’s 5-3 loss to the Sharks at the SAP Center, the Pittsburgh head coach was — once again — full of praise for his black-and-teal clad opponents.
“They play not only a physical game, but a fast game,” Bylsma said, per CSN Bay Area. “They counter quickly, got to the offensive zone and played that type of game. I think in the second half of that game we just weren’t able to negate that by playing back in the other end.
“We saw them come at us with that speed and that size, and they’re maybe the best team in the league at getting pucks and bodies to the cage.”
Bylsma, you may recall, heaped huge praise on the Sharks prior to a matchup in early December, calling them the NHL’s strongest team.
“With all due respect to Chicago, [San Jose] is the best team in the league right now,” Bylsma said at the time, as per Pens Inside Scoop. “They way they come at you, the way they play — I think [they're] the best team in the league.”
It’s possible some of Bylsma’s admiration comes from a guy he coached at the Winter Olympics in Sochi — American center Joe Pavelski. The Sharks forward was lethal against Pittsburgh on Thursday night, finishing with a game-high three assists while racking up a team-high 23:46 TOI.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 9
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 23
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 24
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 17
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 53
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6