Mar 7, 2014, 1:24 PM EDT
It’s becoming pretty evident Dan Bylsma is a big San Jose fan.
Following Thursday’s 5-3 loss to the Sharks at the SAP Center, the Pittsburgh head coach was — once again — full of praise for his black-and-teal clad opponents.
“They play not only a physical game, but a fast game,” Bylsma said, per CSN Bay Area. “They counter quickly, got to the offensive zone and played that type of game. I think in the second half of that game we just weren’t able to negate that by playing back in the other end.
“We saw them come at us with that speed and that size, and they’re maybe the best team in the league at getting pucks and bodies to the cage.”
Bylsma, you may recall, heaped huge praise on the Sharks prior to a matchup in early December, calling them the NHL’s strongest team.
“With all due respect to Chicago, [San Jose] is the best team in the league right now,” Bylsma said at the time, as per Pens Inside Scoop. “They way they come at you, the way they play — I think [they’re] the best team in the league.”
It’s possible some of Bylsma’s admiration comes from a guy he coached at the Winter Olympics in Sochi — American center Joe Pavelski. The Sharks forward was lethal against Pittsburgh on Thursday night, finishing with a game-high three assists while racking up a team-high 23:46 TOI.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)