Mar 7, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Lightning owner Jeff Vinik spoke twice with ex-captain Martin St. Louis — prior to Wednesday’s blockbuster deal to the Rangers — about rescinding his trade demand and staying in Tampa Bay, according to the Tampa Tribune.
Despite holding two sit-down discussions with St. Louis to let him know how much he meant to the organization and community, Vinik was one of many who were unable to talk St. Louis out of requesting a move to the Rangers. The trade happened Wednesday and landed RW Ryan Callahan, a first-round draft pick in 2015 and a conditional second-round pick in 2014 that turns into a first-round pick if the Rangers reach the Eastern Conference finals this season.
“We would’ve loved to have seen Marty finish his career with the Tampa Bay Lightning sweater on,’’ Vinik said. “I was very direct in telling him that my dream is that you finish your career here and you lead us to another Stanley Cup.
“But I understand Marty’s reasons. It played out the way it did and we wish him well. He’s been a great player for this organization, is arguably the best player we’ve had in our history, and I hope things go great for him and his family in New York.’’
Vinik also confirmed New York was the lone team St. Louis was willing to accept a trade to, and that the Lightning have received calls from irate season ticket-holders displeased that St. Louis was dealt.
That said, the Tribune noted Thursday was “the best day to date in terms of adding renewals for season tickets since notices went out last month.”
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 24
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)