Mar 7, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Craig Berube is none too happy with the officiating his team has received recently.
The Philadelphia bench boss was irate following Wednesday’s 6-4 win over Washington, saying he “didn’t like the calls” that went against the Flyers. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Berube’s issues stemmed from a pair of third-period penalties against Steve Downie and Mark Streit, as well as the decision to give Vincent Lecavalier and John Erskine matching penalties for their first-period fight.
“What’s Vinny supposed to do? The guy [Erskine] is grabbing people and stuff. To me, he had instigated that, and to come out shorthanded, I’m not sure it’s the right call,” Berube said. “I think Erskine deserved more than he got.”
You can watch the melee here:
Here’s more from Berube, per the Inquirer:
“You guys shouldn’t ask me another question about penalties, and I probably shouldn’t say another thing to the team about it because it doesn’t work. Does it?” Berube said.
Berube was asked whether he thought the Flyers’ Broad Street Bullies legacy influenced the officiating.
“Call up the league and ask them,” he said.
“I’ll put it to you this way: We’re not going to get any breaks. You just deal with it.”
The Flyers currently lead the NHL in total penalty minutes (980) and penalty minutes per game (15.6). Individually, Philly has three players in the top 25 for PIM: Zac Rinaldo (eighth, 117), Downie (12th, 102) and Wayne Simmonds (21st, 91).
Berube has told the Flyers to cut out their undisciplined play already this season…
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 6
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)