Mar 7, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
Craig Berube is none too happy with the officiating his team has received recently.
The Philadelphia bench boss was irate following Wednesday’s 6-4 win over Washington, saying he “didn’t like the calls” that went against the Flyers. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Berube’s issues stemmed from a pair of third-period penalties against Steve Downie and Mark Streit, as well as the decision to give Vincent Lecavalier and John Erskine matching penalties for their first-period fight.
“What’s Vinny supposed to do? The guy [Erskine] is grabbing people and stuff. To me, he had instigated that, and to come out shorthanded, I’m not sure it’s the right call,” Berube said. “I think Erskine deserved more than he got.”
You can watch the melee here:
Here’s more from Berube, per the Inquirer:
“You guys shouldn’t ask me another question about penalties, and I probably shouldn’t say another thing to the team about it because it doesn’t work. Does it?” Berube said.
Berube was asked whether he thought the Flyers’ Broad Street Bullies legacy influenced the officiating.
“Call up the league and ask them,” he said.
“I’ll put it to you this way: We’re not going to get any breaks. You just deal with it.”
The Flyers currently lead the NHL in total penalty minutes (980) and penalty minutes per game (15.6). Individually, Philly has three players in the top 25 for PIM: Zac Rinaldo (eighth, 117), Downie (12th, 102) and Wayne Simmonds (21st, 91).
Berube has told the Flyers to cut out their undisciplined play already this season…
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)