Mar 7, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Craig Berube is none too happy with the officiating his team has received recently.
The Philadelphia bench boss was irate following Wednesday’s 6-4 win over Washington, saying he “didn’t like the calls” that went against the Flyers. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Berube’s issues stemmed from a pair of third-period penalties against Steve Downie and Mark Streit, as well as the decision to give Vincent Lecavalier and John Erskine matching penalties for their first-period fight.
“What’s Vinny supposed to do? The guy [Erskine] is grabbing people and stuff. To me, he had instigated that, and to come out shorthanded, I’m not sure it’s the right call,” Berube said. “I think Erskine deserved more than he got.”
You can watch the melee here:
Here’s more from Berube, per the Inquirer:
“You guys shouldn’t ask me another question about penalties, and I probably shouldn’t say another thing to the team about it because it doesn’t work. Does it?” Berube said.
Berube was asked whether he thought the Flyers’ Broad Street Bullies legacy influenced the officiating.
“Call up the league and ask them,” he said.
“I’ll put it to you this way: We’re not going to get any breaks. You just deal with it.”
The Flyers currently lead the NHL in total penalty minutes (980) and penalty minutes per game (15.6). Individually, Philly has three players in the top 25 for PIM: Zac Rinaldo (eighth, 117), Downie (12th, 102) and Wayne Simmonds (21st, 91).
Berube has told the Flyers to cut out their undisciplined play already this season…
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)