Mar 7, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
Craig Berube is none too happy with the officiating his team has received recently.
The Philadelphia bench boss was irate following Wednesday’s 6-4 win over Washington, saying he “didn’t like the calls” that went against the Flyers. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Berube’s issues stemmed from a pair of third-period penalties against Steve Downie and Mark Streit, as well as the decision to give Vincent Lecavalier and John Erskine matching penalties for their first-period fight.
“What’s Vinny supposed to do? The guy [Erskine] is grabbing people and stuff. To me, he had instigated that, and to come out shorthanded, I’m not sure it’s the right call,” Berube said. “I think Erskine deserved more than he got.”
You can watch the melee here:
Here’s more from Berube, per the Inquirer:
“You guys shouldn’t ask me another question about penalties, and I probably shouldn’t say another thing to the team about it because it doesn’t work. Does it?” Berube said.
Berube was asked whether he thought the Flyers’ Broad Street Bullies legacy influenced the officiating.
“Call up the league and ask them,” he said.
“I’ll put it to you this way: We’re not going to get any breaks. You just deal with it.”
The Flyers currently lead the NHL in total penalty minutes (980) and penalty minutes per game (15.6). Individually, Philly has three players in the top 25 for PIM: Zac Rinaldo (eighth, 117), Downie (12th, 102) and Wayne Simmonds (21st, 91).
Berube has told the Flyers to cut out their undisciplined play already this season…
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)