Mar 7, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Craig Berube is none too happy with the officiating his team has received recently.
The Philadelphia bench boss was irate following Wednesday’s 6-4 win over Washington, saying he “didn’t like the calls” that went against the Flyers. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Berube’s issues stemmed from a pair of third-period penalties against Steve Downie and Mark Streit, as well as the decision to give Vincent Lecavalier and John Erskine matching penalties for their first-period fight.
“What’s Vinny supposed to do? The guy [Erskine] is grabbing people and stuff. To me, he had instigated that, and to come out shorthanded, I’m not sure it’s the right call,” Berube said. “I think Erskine deserved more than he got.”
You can watch the melee here:
Here’s more from Berube, per the Inquirer:
“You guys shouldn’t ask me another question about penalties, and I probably shouldn’t say another thing to the team about it because it doesn’t work. Does it?” Berube said.
Berube was asked whether he thought the Flyers’ Broad Street Bullies legacy influenced the officiating.
“Call up the league and ask them,” he said.
“I’ll put it to you this way: We’re not going to get any breaks. You just deal with it.”
The Flyers currently lead the NHL in total penalty minutes (980) and penalty minutes per game (15.6). Individually, Philly has three players in the top 25 for PIM: Zac Rinaldo (eighth, 117), Downie (12th, 102) and Wayne Simmonds (21st, 91).
Berube has told the Flyers to cut out their undisciplined play already this season…
- Video: Lundqvist snares Stamkos’ scary shot 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 5
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 25
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)