Mar 6, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes are in the middle of a muddled pack of teams fighting for a playoff spot and now they may have to go the next little while without one of their top defensemen.
The team recalled Ryan Murphy from AHL Charlotte because of injury concerns with top-pair defenseman Justin Faulk. Faulk was originally placed on injured reserve, but Chip Alexander of the News & Observer reports the team is not doing that.
This season, Faulk has 23 points and averages over 23 minutes of ice time per game. He’s been working on the team’s top pair with Andrej Sekera and is vital to them making the postseason.
Murphy has had a strong rookie season for Carolina, but has been in the AHL since January 24. In 39 games with the Hurricanes, he has two goals and 11 points and averaged over 18 minutes of ice time per game. He’s been a good player this season, but he’s not at Faulk’s level.
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 1
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55