Mar 6, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes are in the middle of a muddled pack of teams fighting for a playoff spot and now they may have to go the next little while without one of their top defensemen.
The team recalled Ryan Murphy from AHL Charlotte because of injury concerns with top-pair defenseman Justin Faulk. Faulk was originally placed on injured reserve, but Chip Alexander of the News & Observer reports the team is not doing that.
This season, Faulk has 23 points and averages over 23 minutes of ice time per game. He’s been working on the team’s top pair with Andrej Sekera and is vital to them making the postseason.
Murphy has had a strong rookie season for Carolina, but has been in the AHL since January 24. In 39 games with the Hurricanes, he has two goals and 11 points and averaged over 18 minutes of ice time per game. He’s been a good player this season, but he’s not at Faulk’s level.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)