Mar 6, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes are in the middle of a muddled pack of teams fighting for a playoff spot and now they may have to go the next little while without one of their top defensemen.
The team recalled Ryan Murphy from AHL Charlotte because of injury concerns with top-pair defenseman Justin Faulk. Faulk was originally placed on injured reserve, but Chip Alexander of the News & Observer reports the team is not doing that.
This season, Faulk has 23 points and averages over 23 minutes of ice time per game. He’s been working on the team’s top pair with Andrej Sekera and is vital to them making the postseason.
Murphy has had a strong rookie season for Carolina, but has been in the AHL since January 24. In 39 games with the Hurricanes, he has two goals and 11 points and averaged over 18 minutes of ice time per game. He’s been a good player this season, but he’s not at Faulk’s level.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5