Mar 6, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes are in the middle of a muddled pack of teams fighting for a playoff spot and now they may have to go the next little while without one of their top defensemen.
The team recalled Ryan Murphy from AHL Charlotte because of injury concerns with top-pair defenseman Justin Faulk. Faulk was originally placed on injured reserve, but Chip Alexander of the News & Observer reports the team is not doing that.
This season, Faulk has 23 points and averages over 23 minutes of ice time per game. He’s been working on the team’s top pair with Andrej Sekera and is vital to them making the postseason.
Murphy has had a strong rookie season for Carolina, but has been in the AHL since January 24. In 39 games with the Hurricanes, he has two goals and 11 points and averaged over 18 minutes of ice time per game. He’s been a good player this season, but he’s not at Faulk’s level.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 9
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25