Mar 6, 2014, 10:18 AM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes are in the middle of a muddled pack of teams fighting for a playoff spot and now they may have to go the next little while without one of their top defensemen.
The team recalled Ryan Murphy from AHL Charlotte because of injury concerns with top-pair defenseman Justin Faulk. Faulk was originally placed on injured reserve, but Chip Alexander of the News & Observer reports the team is not doing that.
This season, Faulk has 23 points and averages over 23 minutes of ice time per game. He’s been working on the team’s top pair with Andrej Sekera and is vital to them making the postseason.
Murphy has had a strong rookie season for Carolina, but has been in the AHL since January 24. In 39 games with the Hurricanes, he has two goals and 11 points and averaged over 18 minutes of ice time per game. He’s been a good player this season, but he’s not at Faulk’s level.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)