Mar 6, 2014, 6:27 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens landed Thomas Vanek at the trade deadline yesterday, and he’ll manage to play for his new team a day later, as the Montreal Gazette reports that he’ll debut against the Phoenix Coyotes on Thursday.
The Habs didn’t practice this morning, but the preliminary word is that the 30-year-old will line up with Tomas Plekanec and Alex Galchenyuk. That gives Montreal a nice one-two line punch between Vanek’s trio and the Max Pacioretty – David Desharnais – Brendan Gallagher combo.
Vanek blended in pretty quickly with the New York Islanders, scoring his first point (an assist) in his second game with the team. Overall, he scored 44 points in 47 games with the Islanders after getting nine points in his last 13 games as a member of the Buffalo Sabres.
He admitted that it’s been a hectic couple days, but also praised his treatment by the Canadiens so far.
“Any time (you get traded) you’re excited to come in and meet the guys,” Vanek said. “It’s a little bit overwhelming, but since the minute I found out I had been traded to Montreal, they’ve treated me first class. We just had a quick meeting this morning and I’m sure coach will let me know (who I’m playing with) later.”
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 1
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)