Mar 6, 2014, 6:27 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens landed Thomas Vanek at the trade deadline yesterday, and he’ll manage to play for his new team a day later, as the Montreal Gazette reports that he’ll debut against the Phoenix Coyotes on Thursday.
The Habs didn’t practice this morning, but the preliminary word is that the 30-year-old will line up with Tomas Plekanec and Alex Galchenyuk. That gives Montreal a nice one-two line punch between Vanek’s trio and the Max Pacioretty – David Desharnais – Brendan Gallagher combo.
Vanek blended in pretty quickly with the New York Islanders, scoring his first point (an assist) in his second game with the team. Overall, he scored 44 points in 47 games with the Islanders after getting nine points in his last 13 games as a member of the Buffalo Sabres.
He admitted that it’s been a hectic couple days, but also praised his treatment by the Canadiens so far.
“Any time (you get traded) you’re excited to come in and meet the guys,” Vanek said. “It’s a little bit overwhelming, but since the minute I found out I had been traded to Montreal, they’ve treated me first class. We just had a quick meeting this morning and I’m sure coach will let me know (who I’m playing with) later.”
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 15
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)