Mar 6, 2014, 6:27 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens landed Thomas Vanek at the trade deadline yesterday, and he’ll manage to play for his new team a day later, as the Montreal Gazette reports that he’ll debut against the Phoenix Coyotes on Thursday.
The Habs didn’t practice this morning, but the preliminary word is that the 30-year-old will line up with Tomas Plekanec and Alex Galchenyuk. That gives Montreal a nice one-two line punch between Vanek’s trio and the Max Pacioretty – David Desharnais – Brendan Gallagher combo.
Vanek blended in pretty quickly with the New York Islanders, scoring his first point (an assist) in his second game with the team. Overall, he scored 44 points in 47 games with the Islanders after getting nine points in his last 13 games as a member of the Buffalo Sabres.
He admitted that it’s been a hectic couple days, but also praised his treatment by the Canadiens so far.
“Any time (you get traded) you’re excited to come in and meet the guys,” Vanek said. “It’s a little bit overwhelming, but since the minute I found out I had been traded to Montreal, they’ve treated me first class. We just had a quick meeting this morning and I’m sure coach will let me know (who I’m playing with) later.”
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 4
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 15
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9