Mar 6, 2014, 6:27 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens landed Thomas Vanek at the trade deadline yesterday, and he’ll manage to play for his new team a day later, as the Montreal Gazette reports that he’ll debut against the Phoenix Coyotes on Thursday.
The Habs didn’t practice this morning, but the preliminary word is that the 30-year-old will line up with Tomas Plekanec and Alex Galchenyuk. That gives Montreal a nice one-two line punch between Vanek’s trio and the Max Pacioretty – David Desharnais – Brendan Gallagher combo.
Vanek blended in pretty quickly with the New York Islanders, scoring his first point (an assist) in his second game with the team. Overall, he scored 44 points in 47 games with the Islanders after getting nine points in his last 13 games as a member of the Buffalo Sabres.
He admitted that it’s been a hectic couple days, but also praised his treatment by the Canadiens so far.
“Any time (you get traded) you’re excited to come in and meet the guys,” Vanek said. “It’s a little bit overwhelming, but since the minute I found out I had been traded to Montreal, they’ve treated me first class. We just had a quick meeting this morning and I’m sure coach will let me know (who I’m playing with) later.”
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 0
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 6
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 32
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)