Mar 6, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
The good news is that Steven Stamkos looked dangerous in his first game as Tampa Bay Lightning captain and Ryan Callahan made an impact in his debut. The bad news is that they couldn’t beat Jhonas Enroth often enough to win on Thursday, as the Buffalo Sabres took a 3-1 victory.
Enroth, 25, has been on quite the hot streak in his audition for a heightened role in post-Ryan Miller Buffalo. He stopped 43 out of 44 shots and now has three wins in his last four games, which is especially impressive being that he only has one other win all season long.
Even with the loss, Stamkos, 24, called the night a “step in the right direction” as he returned from injury. Lightning head coach Jon Cooper echoed that sentiment to Fox Sports’ Andrew Astleford and also praised Callahan’s first effort with the team.
It’s easy to see why Cooper was happy with the effort, even if the results weren’t there. Stamkos and Callahan, 28, combined for nine shots on goal and six hits in a busy evening. They also gave Lightning fans a chance to move on from Martin St. Louis … although that might take some time:
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)