Mar 6, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
The good news is that Steven Stamkos looked dangerous in his first game as Tampa Bay Lightning captain and Ryan Callahan made an impact in his debut. The bad news is that they couldn’t beat Jhonas Enroth often enough to win on Thursday, as the Buffalo Sabres took a 3-1 victory.
Enroth, 25, has been on quite the hot streak in his audition for a heightened role in post-Ryan Miller Buffalo. He stopped 43 out of 44 shots and now has three wins in his last four games, which is especially impressive being that he only has one other win all season long.
Even with the loss, Stamkos, 24, called the night a “step in the right direction” as he returned from injury. Lightning head coach Jon Cooper echoed that sentiment to Fox Sports’ Andrew Astleford and also praised Callahan’s first effort with the team.
It’s easy to see why Cooper was happy with the effort, even if the results weren’t there. Stamkos and Callahan, 28, combined for nine shots on goal and six hits in a busy evening. They also gave Lightning fans a chance to move on from Martin St. Louis … although that might take some time:
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 11
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 4
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)