Mar 6, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
The good news is that Steven Stamkos looked dangerous in his first game as Tampa Bay Lightning captain and Ryan Callahan made an impact in his debut. The bad news is that they couldn’t beat Jhonas Enroth often enough to win on Thursday, as the Buffalo Sabres took a 3-1 victory.
Enroth, 25, has been on quite the hot streak in his audition for a heightened role in post-Ryan Miller Buffalo. He stopped 43 out of 44 shots and now has three wins in his last four games, which is especially impressive being that he only has one other win all season long.
Even with the loss, Stamkos, 24, called the night a “step in the right direction” as he returned from injury. Lightning head coach Jon Cooper echoed that sentiment to Fox Sports’ Andrew Astleford and also praised Callahan’s first effort with the team.
It’s easy to see why Cooper was happy with the effort, even if the results weren’t there. Stamkos and Callahan, 28, combined for nine shots on goal and six hits in a busy evening. They also gave Lightning fans a chance to move on from Martin St. Louis … although that might take some time:
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)