Mar 6, 2014, 7:56 PM EST
Some believe that the Detroit Red Wings gave up too much for David Legwand, but some significant injuries means they’ll give him a chance to make the move worth every lost asset. In fact, the Detroit Free Press reports that he’s expected to grab a first-line role right off the bat.
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock acknowledged the team’s need, which they hope Legwand may meet.
“We needed a guy, we needed a veteran guy to help these kids,” Babcock said. “The kids are real good players, but a little leadership helps. He’s got 40 points, he can pass the puck, he can play on the power play, he played against good players, so it’ll be a good fit for us.”
Here’s a sneak peek at what he looks like in a Red Wings jersey, via the team:
Legwand makes his Red Wings debut as they take on the Colorado Avalanche after Nicklas Lidstrom’s jersey retirement ceremony tonight.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 5
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)