Mar 6, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
If today’s line rushes are any indication — and they usually are — the newest King is getting top billing.
Marian Gaborik, acquired from Columbus at yesterday’s trade deadline, skated on L.A.’s No. 1 unit alongside Anze Kopitar and Justin Williams, according to LA Kings Insider. The move pushed captain Dustin Brown, who often plays alongside Kopitar and Williams, onto a second unit with Mike Richards and Jeff Carter.
The Kings will take on the Jets tonight in Winnipeg.
Gaborik, 32, was acquired in the hopes of sparking a lifeless L.A. offense. The Kings sit 27th in the NHL in goals per game (2.32) and haven’t gotten much scoring from their wingers this season, so the hope is that Gaborik can find some of the form that saw him score 41 with the Rangers during the 2011-12 campaign.
The Slovakian speedster does have 14 points in 22 games this year, but has missed extensive time with a knee sprain and broken collarbone.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)