Mar 6, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Josh Gorges‘ fractured hand will prevent him from finishing Montreal’s current Western road swing.
Gorges has been sent back to Montreal for evaluation on his hand injury, the Canadiens announced on Thursday. It’s unclear when the injury occurred — some suggest it was last week against Pittsburgh — but the veteran defenseman underwent an MRI following Wednesday’s 4-3 shootout win over Anaheim, at which time the fracture was revealed.
Gorges, 29, is a vital part of the Habs blueline. He averages over 21 minute per game and sits second in the NHL in blocked shots, with 173. He also serves as an alternate captain.
Right now, it’s unclear how much time Gorges will miss, though he’ll definitely skip tonight’s game in Phoenix and Saturday’s affair in San Jose. Montreal is in a fairly good spot for playoff positioning — second in the Atlantic Division — and did recently acquire depth defenseman Mike Weaver from Florida, so Gorges could be shelved for a while to ensure the hand is fully healed before returning for the stretch drive and postseason.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)