Mar 6, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Josh Gorges‘ fractured hand will prevent him from finishing Montreal’s current Western road swing.
Gorges has been sent back to Montreal for evaluation on his hand injury, the Canadiens announced on Thursday. It’s unclear when the injury occurred — some suggest it was last week against Pittsburgh — but the veteran defenseman underwent an MRI following Wednesday’s 4-3 shootout win over Anaheim, at which time the fracture was revealed.
Gorges, 29, is a vital part of the Habs blueline. He averages over 21 minute per game and sits second in the NHL in blocked shots, with 173. He also serves as an alternate captain.
Right now, it’s unclear how much time Gorges will miss, though he’ll definitely skip tonight’s game in Phoenix and Saturday’s affair in San Jose. Montreal is in a fairly good spot for playoff positioning — second in the Atlantic Division — and did recently acquire depth defenseman Mike Weaver from Florida, so Gorges could be shelved for a while to ensure the hand is fully healed before returning for the stretch drive and postseason.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)