Mar 6, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Josh Gorges‘ fractured hand will prevent him from finishing Montreal’s current Western road swing.
Gorges has been sent back to Montreal for evaluation on his hand injury, the Canadiens announced on Thursday. It’s unclear when the injury occurred — some suggest it was last week against Pittsburgh — but the veteran defenseman underwent an MRI following Wednesday’s 4-3 shootout win over Anaheim, at which time the fracture was revealed.
Gorges, 29, is a vital part of the Habs blueline. He averages over 21 minute per game and sits second in the NHL in blocked shots, with 173. He also serves as an alternate captain.
Right now, it’s unclear how much time Gorges will miss, though he’ll definitely skip tonight’s game in Phoenix and Saturday’s affair in San Jose. Montreal is in a fairly good spot for playoff positioning — second in the Atlantic Division — and did recently acquire depth defenseman Mike Weaver from Florida, so Gorges could be shelved for a while to ensure the hand is fully healed before returning for the stretch drive and postseason.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 7
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)