Mar 6, 2014, 4:51 PM EST
On Mar. 29, one of the greatest goalies in Sabres franchise history will be honored with a spot in the Hall of Fame.
Dominik Hasek, the first goalie in NHL history to win the Hart Trophy twice, will be inducted into the Buffalo Sabres HOF prior to a game against the Lightning on the 29th, the club announced on Thursday.
Here’s more, from the Sabres:
During his time in Buffalo, Hasek held numerous franchise records and, upon his departure from the Sabres, owned the records for most all-time games played (491), wins (234), shutouts (55) and lowest career goals-against average (2.22). Hasek appeared in a career-high 72 games for the club in the 1997-98 season, setting a team record with 13 shutouts, only to follow that up with a career-best 1.87 GAA, .937 save percentage and a Stanley Cup Final berth in 1998-99.
The Sabres Hall of Fame currently has 41 inductees (a mix of players, coaches, front office personnel and executive/ownership figures), while six retired numbers currently reside at First Niagara Center: Gilbert Perreault’s No. 11, Rick Martin’s No. 7, Rene Robert’s No. 14, Tim Horton’s No. 2, Danny Gare’s No. 18 and Pat LaFontaine’s No. 16.
It seems a formality that Hasek’s No. 39 will eventually join those in the rafters. The Dominator is also eligible for induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame this year, and a virtual lock to get in.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)