Mar 6, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
On Mar. 29, one of the greatest goalies in Sabres franchise history will be honored with a spot in the Hall of Fame.
Dominik Hasek, the first goalie in NHL history to win the Hart Trophy twice, will be inducted into the Buffalo Sabres HOF prior to a game against the Lightning on the 29th, the club announced on Thursday.
Here’s more, from the Sabres:
During his time in Buffalo, Hasek held numerous franchise records and, upon his departure from the Sabres, owned the records for most all-time games played (491), wins (234), shutouts (55) and lowest career goals-against average (2.22). Hasek appeared in a career-high 72 games for the club in the 1997-98 season, setting a team record with 13 shutouts, only to follow that up with a career-best 1.87 GAA, .937 save percentage and a Stanley Cup Final berth in 1998-99.
The Sabres Hall of Fame currently has 41 inductees (a mix of players, coaches, front office personnel and executive/ownership figures), while six retired numbers currently reside at First Niagara Center: Gilbert Perreault’s No. 11, Rick Martin’s No. 7, Rene Robert’s No. 14, Tim Horton’s No. 2, Danny Gare’s No. 18 and Pat LaFontaine’s No. 16.
It seems a formality that Hasek’s No. 39 will eventually join those in the rafters. The Dominator is also eligible for induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame this year, and a virtual lock to get in.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54