Mar 6, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
On Mar. 29, one of the greatest goalies in Sabres franchise history will be honored with a spot in the Hall of Fame.
Dominik Hasek, the first goalie in NHL history to win the Hart Trophy twice, will be inducted into the Buffalo Sabres HOF prior to a game against the Lightning on the 29th, the club announced on Thursday.
Here’s more, from the Sabres:
During his time in Buffalo, Hasek held numerous franchise records and, upon his departure from the Sabres, owned the records for most all-time games played (491), wins (234), shutouts (55) and lowest career goals-against average (2.22). Hasek appeared in a career-high 72 games for the club in the 1997-98 season, setting a team record with 13 shutouts, only to follow that up with a career-best 1.87 GAA, .937 save percentage and a Stanley Cup Final berth in 1998-99.
The Sabres Hall of Fame currently has 41 inductees (a mix of players, coaches, front office personnel and executive/ownership figures), while six retired numbers currently reside at First Niagara Center: Gilbert Perreault’s No. 11, Rick Martin’s No. 7, Rene Robert’s No. 14, Tim Horton’s No. 2, Danny Gare’s No. 18 and Pat LaFontaine’s No. 16.
It seems a formality that Hasek’s No. 39 will eventually join those in the rafters. The Dominator is also eligible for induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame this year, and a virtual lock to get in.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)