Mar 6, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
On Mar. 29, one of the greatest goalies in Sabres franchise history will be honored with a spot in the Hall of Fame.
Dominik Hasek, the first goalie in NHL history to win the Hart Trophy twice, will be inducted into the Buffalo Sabres HOF prior to a game against the Lightning on the 29th, the club announced on Thursday.
Here’s more, from the Sabres:
During his time in Buffalo, Hasek held numerous franchise records and, upon his departure from the Sabres, owned the records for most all-time games played (491), wins (234), shutouts (55) and lowest career goals-against average (2.22). Hasek appeared in a career-high 72 games for the club in the 1997-98 season, setting a team record with 13 shutouts, only to follow that up with a career-best 1.87 GAA, .937 save percentage and a Stanley Cup Final berth in 1998-99.
The Sabres Hall of Fame currently has 41 inductees (a mix of players, coaches, front office personnel and executive/ownership figures), while six retired numbers currently reside at First Niagara Center: Gilbert Perreault’s No. 11, Rick Martin’s No. 7, Rene Robert’s No. 14, Tim Horton’s No. 2, Danny Gare’s No. 18 and Pat LaFontaine’s No. 16.
It seems a formality that Hasek’s No. 39 will eventually join those in the rafters. The Dominator is also eligible for induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame this year, and a virtual lock to get in.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)