Mar 6, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
On Mar. 29, one of the greatest goalies in Sabres franchise history will be honored with a spot in the Hall of Fame.
Dominik Hasek, the first goalie in NHL history to win the Hart Trophy twice, will be inducted into the Buffalo Sabres HOF prior to a game against the Lightning on the 29th, the club announced on Thursday.
Here’s more, from the Sabres:
During his time in Buffalo, Hasek held numerous franchise records and, upon his departure from the Sabres, owned the records for most all-time games played (491), wins (234), shutouts (55) and lowest career goals-against average (2.22). Hasek appeared in a career-high 72 games for the club in the 1997-98 season, setting a team record with 13 shutouts, only to follow that up with a career-best 1.87 GAA, .937 save percentage and a Stanley Cup Final berth in 1998-99.
The Sabres Hall of Fame currently has 41 inductees (a mix of players, coaches, front office personnel and executive/ownership figures), while six retired numbers currently reside at First Niagara Center: Gilbert Perreault’s No. 11, Rick Martin’s No. 7, Rene Robert’s No. 14, Tim Horton’s No. 2, Danny Gare’s No. 18 and Pat LaFontaine’s No. 16.
It seems a formality that Hasek’s No. 39 will eventually join those in the rafters. The Dominator is also eligible for induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame this year, and a virtual lock to get in.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)