Mar 5, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
A statement from Tampa Bay general manager Steve Yzerman after the Lightning traded Martin St. Louis to the Rangers:
“We’d like to thank Marty for everything he has done on and off the ice during his outstanding 13-year career in Tampa Bay. He has been one of the greatest players in the organization’s history but in the end we honored his request today. We wish him and his family the best of luck as he continues his career in New York.”
A nice statement. Though one wonders if, privately, Yzerman is talking so diplomatically about St. Louis, who took his initial omission from Team Canada’s Olympic roster — a roster that Yzerman was ultimately responsible for compiling — so personally.
St. Louis has not fared particularly well in the court of public opinion since his trade request was first reported. And while at least one Florida media member doesn’t blame the 38-year-old for asking out…
…it’s worth mentioning what Team Canada coach Mike Babcock said about Yzerman after winning gold in Sochi.
“What makes Steve a good leader? No. 1, he is a good person and he understands what is right and what is wrong,” Babcock said.
“Even though the hard decisions are hard, he’s not scared to make them.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)