Mar 5, 2014, 12:44 PM EST
A statement from Tampa Bay general manager Steve Yzerman after the Lightning traded Martin St. Louis to the Rangers:
“We’d like to thank Marty for everything he has done on and off the ice during his outstanding 13-year career in Tampa Bay. He has been one of the greatest players in the organization’s history but in the end we honored his request today. We wish him and his family the best of luck as he continues his career in New York.”
A nice statement. Though one wonders if, privately, Yzerman is talking so diplomatically about St. Louis, who took his initial omission from Team Canada’s Olympic roster — a roster that Yzerman was ultimately responsible for compiling — so personally.
St. Louis has not fared particularly well in the court of public opinion since his trade request was first reported. And while at least one Florida media member doesn’t blame the 38-year-old for asking out…
…it’s worth mentioning what Team Canada coach Mike Babcock said about Yzerman after winning gold in Sochi.
“What makes Steve a good leader? No. 1, he is a good person and he understands what is right and what is wrong,” Babcock said.
“Even though the hard decisions are hard, he’s not scared to make them.”
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 11
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)