Mar 5, 2014, 11:41 PM EDT
A pair of unlikely combatants dropped the gloves Wednesday.
Calgary Flames defenseman Kris Russell and Ottawa Senators forward Bobby Ryan found themselves in a scrap during the second period. It was a rare occurrence for both. Russell, prior to tonight, had been in five fights over the course of his NHL career. Ryan had been in only four. That’s according to both players’ statistics on NHL.com.
Interesting, also, that Ryan fought against the Flames. Brian Burke, who had a strong critique of Ryan’s game revealed after the U.S. Olympic team was announced and Ryan was snubbed, is Calgary’s acting general manager.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 10
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25