Mar 5, 2014, 11:41 PM EST
A pair of unlikely combatants dropped the gloves Wednesday.
Calgary Flames defenseman Kris Russell and Ottawa Senators forward Bobby Ryan found themselves in a scrap during the second period. It was a rare occurrence for both. Russell, prior to tonight, had been in five fights over the course of his NHL career. Ryan had been in only four. That’s according to both players’ statistics on NHL.com.
Interesting, also, that Ryan fought against the Flames. Brian Burke, who had a strong critique of Ryan’s game revealed after the U.S. Olympic team was announced and Ryan was snubbed, is Calgary’s acting general manager.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)