Mar 5, 2014, 11:41 PM EDT
A pair of unlikely combatants dropped the gloves Wednesday.
Calgary Flames defenseman Kris Russell and Ottawa Senators forward Bobby Ryan found themselves in a scrap during the second period. It was a rare occurrence for both. Russell, prior to tonight, had been in five fights over the course of his NHL career. Ryan had been in only four. That’s according to both players’ statistics on NHL.com.
Interesting, also, that Ryan fought against the Flames. Brian Burke, who had a strong critique of Ryan’s game revealed after the U.S. Olympic team was announced and Ryan was snubbed, is Calgary’s acting general manager.
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 0
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 18
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8