Mar 5, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Martin St. Louis began the day as a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning. He’ll end it as a member of the New York Rangers after a tough overtime loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs.
St. Louis, who had been a member of the Lightning for 14 seasons, was shipped in a blockbuster deal to the Rangers in exchange for Ryan Callahan on Wednesday – the NHL’s trade deadline day. St. Louis made it to New York in time to make it into the lineup in his Rangers debut against Toronto. His debut included three shots on goal, no points and just over 20 minutes of ice time.
The Rangers conjured a quick third-period comeback, scoring twice in 1:19 to help send the game to overtime. Toronto center Tyler Bozak scored in the extra period for his second of the night to give the Maple Leafs the 3-2 win.
Wednesday brought an end to the St. Louis era in Tampa Bay, as it had long been evident he wanted out, with Lightning GM Steve Yzerman saying the club “honored his request today.”
After a day mostly used to travel, St. Louis spoke to the media after the Rangers-Leafs game.
“A lot of emotions today. I was blessed to play in one place for 14 years (and) I’ll cherish those years,” St. Louis said afterward, as per TSN’s Mark Masters.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)