Mar 5, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Martin St. Louis began the day as a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning. He’ll end it as a member of the New York Rangers after a tough overtime loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs.
St. Louis, who had been a member of the Lightning for 14 seasons, was shipped in a blockbuster deal to the Rangers in exchange for Ryan Callahan on Wednesday – the NHL’s trade deadline day. St. Louis made it to New York in time to make it into the lineup in his Rangers debut against Toronto. His debut included three shots on goal, no points and just over 20 minutes of ice time.
The Rangers conjured a quick third-period comeback, scoring twice in 1:19 to help send the game to overtime. Toronto center Tyler Bozak scored in the extra period for his second of the night to give the Maple Leafs the 3-2 win.
Wednesday brought an end to the St. Louis era in Tampa Bay, as it had long been evident he wanted out, with Lightning GM Steve Yzerman saying the club “honored his request today.”
After a day mostly used to travel, St. Louis spoke to the media after the Rangers-Leafs game.
“A lot of emotions today. I was blessed to play in one place for 14 years (and) I’ll cherish those years,” St. Louis said afterward, as per TSN’s Mark Masters.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 29
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)