Mar 5, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Martin St. Louis began the day as a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning. He’ll end it as a member of the New York Rangers after a tough overtime loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs.
St. Louis, who had been a member of the Lightning for 14 seasons, was shipped in a blockbuster deal to the Rangers in exchange for Ryan Callahan on Wednesday – the NHL’s trade deadline day. St. Louis made it to New York in time to make it into the lineup in his Rangers debut against Toronto. His debut included three shots on goal, no points and just over 20 minutes of ice time.
The Rangers conjured a quick third-period comeback, scoring twice in 1:19 to help send the game to overtime. Toronto center Tyler Bozak scored in the extra period for his second of the night to give the Maple Leafs the 3-2 win.
Wednesday brought an end to the St. Louis era in Tampa Bay, as it had long been evident he wanted out, with Lightning GM Steve Yzerman saying the club “honored his request today.”
After a day mostly used to travel, St. Louis spoke to the media after the Rangers-Leafs game.
“A lot of emotions today. I was blessed to play in one place for 14 years (and) I’ll cherish those years,” St. Louis said afterward, as per TSN’s Mark Masters.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)