Mar 5, 2014, 10:31 PM EST
Martin St. Louis began the day as a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning. He’ll end it as a member of the New York Rangers after a tough overtime loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs.
St. Louis, who had been a member of the Lightning for 14 seasons, was shipped in a blockbuster deal to the Rangers in exchange for Ryan Callahan on Wednesday – the NHL’s trade deadline day. St. Louis made it to New York in time to make it into the lineup in his Rangers debut against Toronto. His debut included three shots on goal, no points and just over 20 minutes of ice time.
The Rangers conjured a quick third-period comeback, scoring twice in 1:19 to help send the game to overtime. Toronto center Tyler Bozak scored in the extra period for his second of the night to give the Maple Leafs the 3-2 win.
Wednesday brought an end to the St. Louis era in Tampa Bay, as it had long been evident he wanted out, with Lightning GM Steve Yzerman saying the club “honored his request today.”
After a day mostly used to travel, St. Louis spoke to the media after the Rangers-Leafs game.
“A lot of emotions today. I was blessed to play in one place for 14 years (and) I’ll cherish those years,” St. Louis said afterward, as per TSN’s Mark Masters.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)