Mar 5, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets may have to move forward without Mark Scheifele for a while.
Though the Jets have not confirmed any updates to Scheifele’s status, TSN Hockey Analyst Aaron Ward says early reports indicate he suffered an MCL injury and will likely out 6-8 weeks.
If true, it’s a considerable blow for the Jets, who are in a tight race for the final playoff spot in the West. Scheifele has been a big part of Winnipeg’s improved play. After a slowish start to the season, the 20-year-old has 25 points in his last 35 games.
Scheifele was hurt in yesterday’s 3-2 overtime loss to the Islanders.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 34
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 31
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35