Mar 5, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have claimed former Ottawa forward Cory Conacher off waivers, according to Sportsnet. The move, while not confirmed, would make sense given new Buffalo GM Tim Murray is from the Sens organization — where he served as an assistant to his uncle, Bryan, who traded for Conacher last season.
Conacher, 24, was placed on the wire yesterday in something of a surprising move — the diminutive forward, who finished sixth in Calder voting last season, had struggled at times this season but still had 20 points in 59 games while averaging over 12 minutes a night.
Conacher is perhaps best known as the piece Ottawa acquired at the ’13 deadline in exchange for Ben Bishop. To say the trade has been lopsided is an understatement — Bishop has turned in a Vezina-caliber year in Tampa Bay, ranking among the league leaders in shutouts (four), wins (29), GAA (2.05) and save percentage (.932).
Conacher, meanwhile, struggled to find his niche in the Canadian capital before getting waived.
As for the financials, Buffalo inherits the last year of Conacher’s deal, one that carries a modest $871,250 cap hit. The move also represents something of a homecoming for Conacher, as he starred collegiately with Canisuis before turning professional.
Finally, it’s worth noting that waiver claims aren’t made official until 12 p.m. ET.
UPDATE: The Sabres have made the claim official.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 20
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 61
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)