Mar 5, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have claimed former Ottawa forward Cory Conacher off waivers, according to Sportsnet. The move, while not confirmed, would make sense given new Buffalo GM Tim Murray is from the Sens organization — where he served as an assistant to his uncle, Bryan, who traded for Conacher last season.
Conacher, 24, was placed on the wire yesterday in something of a surprising move — the diminutive forward, who finished sixth in Calder voting last season, had struggled at times this season but still had 20 points in 59 games while averaging over 12 minutes a night.
Conacher is perhaps best known as the piece Ottawa acquired at the ’13 deadline in exchange for Ben Bishop. To say the trade has been lopsided is an understatement — Bishop has turned in a Vezina-caliber year in Tampa Bay, ranking among the league leaders in shutouts (four), wins (29), GAA (2.05) and save percentage (.932).
Conacher, meanwhile, struggled to find his niche in the Canadian capital before getting waived.
As for the financials, Buffalo inherits the last year of Conacher’s deal, one that carries a modest $871,250 cap hit. The move also represents something of a homecoming for Conacher, as he starred collegiately with Canisuis before turning professional.
Finally, it’s worth noting that waiver claims aren’t made official until 12 p.m. ET.
UPDATE: The Sabres have made the claim official.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 19
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39