Mar 5, 2014, 11:49 AM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have claimed former Ottawa forward Cory Conacher off waivers, according to Sportsnet. The move, while not confirmed, would make sense given new Buffalo GM Tim Murray is from the Sens organization — where he served as an assistant to his uncle, Bryan, who traded for Conacher last season.
Conacher, 24, was placed on the wire yesterday in something of a surprising move — the diminutive forward, who finished sixth in Calder voting last season, had struggled at times this season but still had 20 points in 59 games while averaging over 12 minutes a night.
Conacher is perhaps best known as the piece Ottawa acquired at the ’13 deadline in exchange for Ben Bishop. To say the trade has been lopsided is an understatement — Bishop has turned in a Vezina-caliber year in Tampa Bay, ranking among the league leaders in shutouts (four), wins (29), GAA (2.05) and save percentage (.932).
Conacher, meanwhile, struggled to find his niche in the Canadian capital before getting waived.
As for the financials, Buffalo inherits the last year of Conacher’s deal, one that carries a modest $871,250 cap hit. The move also represents something of a homecoming for Conacher, as he starred collegiately with Canisuis before turning professional.
Finally, it’s worth noting that waiver claims aren’t made official until 12 p.m. ET.
UPDATE: The Sabres have made the claim official.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (145)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)