Mar 5, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have claimed former Ottawa forward Cory Conacher off waivers, according to Sportsnet. The move, while not confirmed, would make sense given new Buffalo GM Tim Murray is from the Sens organization — where he served as an assistant to his uncle, Bryan, who traded for Conacher last season.
Conacher, 24, was placed on the wire yesterday in something of a surprising move — the diminutive forward, who finished sixth in Calder voting last season, had struggled at times this season but still had 20 points in 59 games while averaging over 12 minutes a night.
Conacher is perhaps best known as the piece Ottawa acquired at the ’13 deadline in exchange for Ben Bishop. To say the trade has been lopsided is an understatement — Bishop has turned in a Vezina-caliber year in Tampa Bay, ranking among the league leaders in shutouts (four), wins (29), GAA (2.05) and save percentage (.932).
Conacher, meanwhile, struggled to find his niche in the Canadian capital before getting waived.
As for the financials, Buffalo inherits the last year of Conacher’s deal, one that carries a modest $871,250 cap hit. The move also represents something of a homecoming for Conacher, as he starred collegiately with Canisuis before turning professional.
Finally, it’s worth noting that waiver claims aren’t made official until 12 p.m. ET.
UPDATE: The Sabres have made the claim official.
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 11
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)