Mar 5, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have claimed former Ottawa forward Cory Conacher off waivers, according to Sportsnet. The move, while not confirmed, would make sense given new Buffalo GM Tim Murray is from the Sens organization — where he served as an assistant to his uncle, Bryan, who traded for Conacher last season.
Conacher, 24, was placed on the wire yesterday in something of a surprising move — the diminutive forward, who finished sixth in Calder voting last season, had struggled at times this season but still had 20 points in 59 games while averaging over 12 minutes a night.
Conacher is perhaps best known as the piece Ottawa acquired at the ’13 deadline in exchange for Ben Bishop. To say the trade has been lopsided is an understatement — Bishop has turned in a Vezina-caliber year in Tampa Bay, ranking among the league leaders in shutouts (four), wins (29), GAA (2.05) and save percentage (.932).
Conacher, meanwhile, struggled to find his niche in the Canadian capital before getting waived.
As for the financials, Buffalo inherits the last year of Conacher’s deal, one that carries a modest $871,250 cap hit. The move also represents something of a homecoming for Conacher, as he starred collegiately with Canisuis before turning professional.
Finally, it’s worth noting that waiver claims aren’t made official until 12 p.m. ET.
UPDATE: The Sabres have made the claim official.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 16
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)