Mar 5, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT
For the first time since late October, Pekka Rinne played a National Hockey League game for the Nashville Predators. The return didn’t come with a victory, however, as the Predators lost to the visiting Pittsburgh Penguins by a final score of 3-1.
Rinne was playing his first NHL game since Oct. 22, due to a bacterial infection in his hip that at first was thought to keep him out at least a month. He played for the AHL’s Milwaukee Admirals in a conditioning stint game last Friday, before working his way back to the Predators.
However, he wasn’t too pleased with the game-winning goal he allowed in the third period. Matt Niskanen‘s power play blast less than eight minutes into the final period beat Rinne, delivering another blow to Nashville’s playoff hopes. They currently sit 12th in the Western Conference, six points back of eighth-place Dallas.
“I saw it coming all the way,” Rinne told The Tennessean. “(The shot) kind of dove, and I just wasn’t quick enough to recover. It went through my pants and my glove. It’s one for sure that would have been a really big save at the time.”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 12
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)