Mar 5, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
Thomas has had an up-and-down season since returning to the NHL. The 39-year-old leaves the Panthers with a 16-20-3 record and .909 save percentage.
In Dallas, Thomas will battle Kari Lehtonen for the starting role. Lehtonen has had ups and downs of his own this season. (In November, we wrote a post calling him the most underrated goalie in the NHL. At the time, his save percentage was .932, which has since fallen to .916
, possibly because we totally jinxed him.)
That being said, Lehtonen’s job is likely still his to lose. The Stars are in a desperate fight to make the playoffs, and the difference between a capable and no-so-capable backup could be the difference between making and missing. The reported return for Thomas is Dan Ellis, who’s signed through next season for a cap hit of $900,000.
Thomas, 39, is a pending unrestricted free agent.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)