Mar 5, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
Thomas has had an up-and-down season since returning to the NHL. The 39-year-old leaves the Panthers with a 16-20-3 record and .909 save percentage.
In Dallas, Thomas will battle Kari Lehtonen for the starting role. Lehtonen has had ups and downs of his own this season. (In November, we wrote a post calling him the most underrated goalie in the NHL. At the time, his save percentage was .932, which has since fallen to .916
, possibly because we totally jinxed him.)
That being said, Lehtonen’s job is likely still his to lose. The Stars are in a desperate fight to make the playoffs, and the difference between a capable and no-so-capable backup could be the difference between making and missing. The reported return for Thomas is Dan Ellis, who’s signed through next season for a cap hit of $900,000.
Thomas, 39, is a pending unrestricted free agent.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18