Mar 5, 2014, 3:24 PM EST
Once again, it seems Mike Gillis is rolling the dice that patience will bring a better return for one of his core players. Other than sending depth defenseman Raphael Diaz to the New York Rangers for a fifth-round pick in 2015, the Vancouver Canucks didn’t make a move today, one day after Gillis dealt Roberto Luongo to the Florida Panthers in a move that did nothing to help the embattled general manager’s approval rating in the hockey-mad city.
Rumors were rampant that Kesler could be sent to Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Anaheim and others. Instead, he remains with the Canucks, a team that’s becoming more and more of a long shot to make the playoffs with each additional loss.
Gillis will be criticized for wasting the value Kesler could have provided a contender this postseason. Now, the most the Canucks can guarantee a potential trade partner is two playoff runs with the 29-year-old former Selke Trophy winner, not three.
It could end up that Vancouver receives a better deal for Kesler in the summer, when teams have more flexibility to do deals. But Canucks fans have heard that before. Right now, there’s not a lot of faith it all turns out for the best, and speculation, valid or not, is only going to grow that Gillis will be fired.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)