Mar 5, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
Once again, it seems Mike Gillis is rolling the dice that patience will bring a better return for one of his core players. Other than sending depth defenseman Raphael Diaz to the New York Rangers for a fifth-round pick in 2015, the Vancouver Canucks didn’t make a move today, one day after Gillis dealt Roberto Luongo to the Florida Panthers in a move that did nothing to help the embattled general manager’s approval rating in the hockey-mad city.
Rumors were rampant that Kesler could be sent to Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Anaheim and others. Instead, he remains with the Canucks, a team that’s becoming more and more of a long shot to make the playoffs with each additional loss.
Gillis will be criticized for wasting the value Kesler could have provided a contender this postseason. Now, the most the Canucks can guarantee a potential trade partner is two playoff runs with the 29-year-old former Selke Trophy winner, not three.
It could end up that Vancouver receives a better deal for Kesler in the summer, when teams have more flexibility to do deals. But Canucks fans have heard that before. Right now, there’s not a lot of faith it all turns out for the best, and speculation, valid or not, is only going to grow that Gillis will be fired.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)