Mar 5, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have emerged the victor in the Thomas Vanek sweepstakes, acquiring the Islanders winger in exchange for second-round pick in ’14 and prospect Sebastian Collberg, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
Update: The Habs also receive a conditional fifth-round pick from the Islanders.
Update 2: More on the conditions of the draft picks in play, per ESPN…
Condition on picks in Vanek deal: Habs have to make the playoffs for picks to exchange hands
— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) March 5, 2014
In return, the Isles are now (probably) getting a second-rounder in this year’s draft and Collberg, a second-round pick himself — 33rd overall at the ’12 NHL Entry Draft. The 20-year-old Swede currently plays for Frolunda of the Swedish Hockey League, and has represented Team Sweden at the last thee World Junior tournaments (where he’s won gold and a pair of silver medals.)
A few reactions to pass your way…
Turns out it was Moulson, 1st and 2d for 47 games of Vanek, a 2d and a prospect…Something ventured, nothing gained for the NYI.
— Larry Brooks (@NYP_Brooksie) March 5, 2014
I feel like if the Islanders really work at this, eventually the return on the Moulson-Vanek deal will amount to a paper clip.
— Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) March 5, 2014
From the Montreal perspective, this deal has to be seen as a win. The club added a high-impact, goalscoring forward without surrendering a first-round pick or roster player.
Vanek has 21 goals and 53 points in 60 games this year — he’ll bolster an already good offensive team that has eight 10-goal scorers at forward (led by Max Pacioretty, who has 29).
May 26, 2015, 1:13 AM EDT
Monday’s tough loss hasn’t weakened his resolve.
May 26, 2015, 12:21 AM EDT
Matt Beleskey scored the game winner after initially losing his second line spot.
May 26, 2015, 12:03 AM EDT
Chicago was trailing for most of the game.
May 25, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
It was a reversal from the first frame.
May 25, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Maple Leafs prospect Frederik Gauthier had a big game too.
May 25, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
The first period was all Anaheim.
May 25, 2015, 9:42 PM EDT
The Ducks got off to an ideal start.
May 25, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Emerson Etem is a healthy scratch.
May 25, 2015, 8:29 PM EDT
He needed to keep his wrist frozen to play.
May 25, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
He was linked to Nashville’s playoff curfew incident.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The series is tied at 2-2.
May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.
May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
May 25, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
May 25, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
They’re expected to speak again before July 1.
May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)