Mar 5, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have emerged the victor in the Thomas Vanek sweepstakes, acquiring the Islanders winger in exchange for second-round pick in ’14 and prospect Sebastian Collberg, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
Update: The Habs also receive a conditional fifth-round pick from the Islanders.
Update 2: More on the conditions of the draft picks in play, per ESPN…
Condition on picks in Vanek deal: Habs have to make the playoffs for picks to exchange hands
— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) March 5, 2014
In return, the Isles are now (probably) getting a second-rounder in this year’s draft and Collberg, a second-round pick himself — 33rd overall at the ’12 NHL Entry Draft. The 20-year-old Swede currently plays for Frolunda of the Swedish Hockey League, and has represented Team Sweden at the last thee World Junior tournaments (where he’s won gold and a pair of silver medals.)
A few reactions to pass your way…
Turns out it was Moulson, 1st and 2d for 47 games of Vanek, a 2d and a prospect…Something ventured, nothing gained for the NYI.
— Larry Brooks (@NYP_Brooksie) March 5, 2014
I feel like if the Islanders really work at this, eventually the return on the Moulson-Vanek deal will amount to a paper clip.
— Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) March 5, 2014
From the Montreal perspective, this deal has to be seen as a win. The club added a high-impact, goalscoring forward without surrendering a first-round pick or roster player.
Vanek has 21 goals and 53 points in 60 games this year — he’ll bolster an already good offensive team that has eight 10-goal scorers at forward (led by Max Pacioretty, who has 29).
Jul 6, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
“You basically say, ‘I have no idea what’s going on, but it’s a great place to play and we have great fans and a great stadium.'”
Jul 6, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Played 59 games for the Sabres last season.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
“He gets to come in and have a heck of a year and put the screws to us.”
Jul 6, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
They have the arena, but not the potential owner.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Finished with a career-high 18 goals last season in Vancouver.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:58 AM EDT
Can become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The 23-year-old could be in line for a significant raise.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He struggled in his first year pro split between the AHL and ECHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
He was bought out by Carolina last week.
Jul 5, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
He’ll make $650,000 at the NHL level and $250,000 in the AHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Hearings will take place in Toronto from July 20 to August 4
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
It’s reportedly a two-way contract worth $600,000.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
The deal will reportedly pay him $4.1 million next season.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:08 PM EDT
His peak came in 2013-14: 19 goals, 51 points.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Perhaps Blue Jackets prospects can learn from his scrappy ways.
Jul 5, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Some depth for the Bolts.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
He shared his story (and struggles) this past week.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
It may leave them in a “cap vise.”
Jul 5, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
That doesn’t guarantee that a hearing would take place, though.
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 5
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 11
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 11
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)