Mar 5, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have emerged the victor in the Thomas Vanek sweepstakes, acquiring the Islanders winger in exchange for second-round pick in ’14 and prospect Sebastian Collberg, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
Update: The Habs also receive a conditional fifth-round pick from the Islanders.
Update 2: More on the conditions of the draft picks in play, per ESPN…
Condition on picks in Vanek deal: Habs have to make the playoffs for picks to exchange hands
— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) March 5, 2014
In return, the Isles are now (probably) getting a second-rounder in this year’s draft and Collberg, a second-round pick himself — 33rd overall at the ’12 NHL Entry Draft. The 20-year-old Swede currently plays for Frolunda of the Swedish Hockey League, and has represented Team Sweden at the last thee World Junior tournaments (where he’s won gold and a pair of silver medals.)
A few reactions to pass your way…
Turns out it was Moulson, 1st and 2d for 47 games of Vanek, a 2d and a prospect…Something ventured, nothing gained for the NYI.
— Larry Brooks (@NYP_Brooksie) March 5, 2014
I feel like if the Islanders really work at this, eventually the return on the Moulson-Vanek deal will amount to a paper clip.
— Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) March 5, 2014
From the Montreal perspective, this deal has to be seen as a win. The club added a high-impact, goalscoring forward without surrendering a first-round pick or roster player.
Vanek has 21 goals and 53 points in 60 games this year — he’ll bolster an already good offensive team that has eight 10-goal scorers at forward (led by Max Pacioretty, who has 29).
- All eyes on Lundqvist 1
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 26
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)