Mar 5, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have emerged the victor in the Thomas Vanek sweepstakes, acquiring the Islanders winger in exchange for second-round pick in ’14 and prospect Sebastian Collberg, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
Update: The Habs also receive a conditional fifth-round pick from the Islanders.
Update 2: More on the conditions of the draft picks in play, per ESPN…
Condition on picks in Vanek deal: Habs have to make the playoffs for picks to exchange hands
— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) March 5, 2014
In return, the Isles are now (probably) getting a second-rounder in this year’s draft and Collberg, a second-round pick himself — 33rd overall at the ’12 NHL Entry Draft. The 20-year-old Swede currently plays for Frolunda of the Swedish Hockey League, and has represented Team Sweden at the last thee World Junior tournaments (where he’s won gold and a pair of silver medals.)
A few reactions to pass your way…
Turns out it was Moulson, 1st and 2d for 47 games of Vanek, a 2d and a prospect…Something ventured, nothing gained for the NYI.
— Larry Brooks (@NYP_Brooksie) March 5, 2014
I feel like if the Islanders really work at this, eventually the return on the Moulson-Vanek deal will amount to a paper clip.
— Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) March 5, 2014
From the Montreal perspective, this deal has to be seen as a win. The club added a high-impact, goalscoring forward without surrendering a first-round pick or roster player.
Vanek has 21 goals and 53 points in 60 games this year — he’ll bolster an already good offensive team that has eight 10-goal scorers at forward (led by Max Pacioretty, who has 29).
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5