Mar 5, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
Martin St. Louis got what he wished for – a trade from the Tampa Bay Lightning to the New York Rangers – but he left a lot of jilted fans in the process. The Bolts’ former captain left a letter behind to Lightning fans to say thanks … and sorry.
“I respect the fact that many of you do not agree with my decision and are angry with it,” St. Louis wrote in the letter. “All I really can say is that I am sorry and I am very appreciative of the support you have shown me through the years.”
After 972 regular season games and 63 playoff contests that peaked with a Stanley Cup win, two scoring titles and a Hart Trophy, St. Louis left town in a captain-for-captain trade with Ryan Callahan. There won’t be much time between that decision and his debut, as he’ll make his first appearance with the Rangers against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday night.
(He’s expected to slide into Callahan’s right wing spot at even strength and on the power play.)
The Rangers and Lightning won’t meet in the 2013-14 regular season, so the only way St. Louis will face the Bolts would be in a seven-game playoff series.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)