Mar 5, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
Martin St. Louis got what he wished for – a trade from the Tampa Bay Lightning to the New York Rangers – but he left a lot of jilted fans in the process. The Bolts’ former captain left a letter behind to Lightning fans to say thanks … and sorry.
“I respect the fact that many of you do not agree with my decision and are angry with it,” St. Louis wrote in the letter. “All I really can say is that I am sorry and I am very appreciative of the support you have shown me through the years.”
After 972 regular season games and 63 playoff contests that peaked with a Stanley Cup win, two scoring titles and a Hart Trophy, St. Louis left town in a captain-for-captain trade with Ryan Callahan. There won’t be much time between that decision and his debut, as he’ll make his first appearance with the Rangers against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday night.
(He’s expected to slide into Callahan’s right wing spot at even strength and on the power play.)
The Rangers and Lightning won’t meet in the 2013-14 regular season, so the only way St. Louis will face the Bolts would be in a seven-game playoff series.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)