Mar 5, 2014, 6:13 PM EST
Martin St. Louis got what he wished for – a trade from the Tampa Bay Lightning to the New York Rangers – but he left a lot of jilted fans in the process. The Bolts’ former captain left a letter behind to Lightning fans to say thanks … and sorry.
“I respect the fact that many of you do not agree with my decision and are angry with it,” St. Louis wrote in the letter. “All I really can say is that I am sorry and I am very appreciative of the support you have shown me through the years.”
After 972 regular season games and 63 playoff contests that peaked with a Stanley Cup win, two scoring titles and a Hart Trophy, St. Louis left town in a captain-for-captain trade with Ryan Callahan. There won’t be much time between that decision and his debut, as he’ll make his first appearance with the Rangers against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday night.
(He’s expected to slide into Callahan’s right wing spot at even strength and on the power play.)
The Rangers and Lightning won’t meet in the 2013-14 regular season, so the only way St. Louis will face the Bolts would be in a seven-game playoff series.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)