Mar 5, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Los Angeles needed a goalcoring winger, so it went out and got one.
The Kings have acquired Slovakian sniper Marian Gaborik from Columbus, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. The Jackets will receive Matt Frattin, a second-round and conditional third-round pick, and it’s being reported Columbus will retain a significant portion of Gaborik’s salary
This marks the second time in consecutive trade deadlines that Gaborik has been dealt — last season, the Blue Jackets acquired his services from the Rangers in a last-second blockbuster.
The 32-year-old has struggled through an injury-plagued ’13-14 campaign, missing 17 games with a sprained knee and another 22 with a broken collarbone. Gaborik actually suffered the break in his first game back off the knee sprain, so he was essentially shelved for three months.
When healthy, though, Gaborik can be a dynamic scorer. He has 14 points in 22 games this year and isn’t that far removed from his 41-goal, 76-point effort with the Rangers in 2011-12.
For L.A., the move is reminiscent to the Jeff Carter acquisition of two years ago. Desperately seeking offense, the Kings splashed big at the deadline to acquire Carter and the move paid off, as he helped the club win the first Stanley Cup in franchise history.
This year, the Kings have struggled mightily to find the back of the net and sit 27th in the NHL in goals per game (2.32) — only the Canucks, Flames and Sabres score less.
UPDATE: A little more on what Columbus receives, per the Dispatch…
#CBJ get 2nd rd pick, which was originally Toronto’s pick. Also get a 3rd-rd pick if Kings win first-round playoff series or resign Gaborik.
— Aaron Portzline (@Aportzline) March 5, 2014
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)