Mar 5, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
Los Angeles needed a goalcoring winger, so it went out and got one.
The Kings have acquired Slovakian sniper Marian Gaborik from Columbus, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. The Jackets will receive Matt Frattin, a second-round and conditional third-round pick, and it’s being reported Columbus will retain a significant portion of Gaborik’s salary
This marks the second time in consecutive trade deadlines that Gaborik has been dealt — last season, the Blue Jackets acquired his services from the Rangers in a last-second blockbuster.
The 32-year-old has struggled through an injury-plagued ’13-14 campaign, missing 17 games with a sprained knee and another 22 with a broken collarbone. Gaborik actually suffered the break in his first game back off the knee sprain, so he was essentially shelved for three months.
When healthy, though, Gaborik can be a dynamic scorer. He has 14 points in 22 games this year and isn’t that far removed from his 41-goal, 76-point effort with the Rangers in 2011-12.
For L.A., the move is reminiscent to the Jeff Carter acquisition of two years ago. Desperately seeking offense, the Kings splashed big at the deadline to acquire Carter and the move paid off, as he helped the club win the first Stanley Cup in franchise history.
This year, the Kings have struggled mightily to find the back of the net and sit 27th in the NHL in goals per game (2.32) — only the Canucks, Flames and Sabres score less.
UPDATE: A little more on what Columbus receives, per the Dispatch…
#CBJ get 2nd rd pick, which was originally Toronto’s pick. Also get a 3rd-rd pick if Kings win first-round playoff series or resign Gaborik.
— Aaron Portzline (@Aportzline) March 5, 2014
- In praise of the Hamburglar 8
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)