Mar 5, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Los Angeles needed a goalcoring winger, so it went out and got one.
The Kings have acquired Slovakian sniper Marian Gaborik from Columbus, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. The Jackets will receive Matt Frattin, a second-round and conditional third-round pick, and it’s being reported Columbus will retain a significant portion of Gaborik’s salary
This marks the second time in consecutive trade deadlines that Gaborik has been dealt — last season, the Blue Jackets acquired his services from the Rangers in a last-second blockbuster.
The 32-year-old has struggled through an injury-plagued ’13-14 campaign, missing 17 games with a sprained knee and another 22 with a broken collarbone. Gaborik actually suffered the break in his first game back off the knee sprain, so he was essentially shelved for three months.
When healthy, though, Gaborik can be a dynamic scorer. He has 14 points in 22 games this year and isn’t that far removed from his 41-goal, 76-point effort with the Rangers in 2011-12.
For L.A., the move is reminiscent to the Jeff Carter acquisition of two years ago. Desperately seeking offense, the Kings splashed big at the deadline to acquire Carter and the move paid off, as he helped the club win the first Stanley Cup in franchise history.
This year, the Kings have struggled mightily to find the back of the net and sit 27th in the NHL in goals per game (2.32) — only the Canucks, Flames and Sabres score less.
UPDATE: A little more on what Columbus receives, per the Dispatch…
#CBJ get 2nd rd pick, which was originally Toronto’s pick. Also get a 3rd-rd pick if Kings win first-round playoff series or resign Gaborik.
— Aaron Portzline (@Aportzline) March 5, 2014
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 23
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)