Mar 5, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Los Angeles needed a goalcoring winger, so it went out and got one.
The Kings have acquired Slovakian sniper Marian Gaborik from Columbus, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. The Jackets will receive Matt Frattin, a second-round and conditional third-round pick, and it’s being reported Columbus will retain a significant portion of Gaborik’s salary
This marks the second time in consecutive trade deadlines that Gaborik has been dealt — last season, the Blue Jackets acquired his services from the Rangers in a last-second blockbuster.
The 32-year-old has struggled through an injury-plagued ’13-14 campaign, missing 17 games with a sprained knee and another 22 with a broken collarbone. Gaborik actually suffered the break in his first game back off the knee sprain, so he was essentially shelved for three months.
When healthy, though, Gaborik can be a dynamic scorer. He has 14 points in 22 games this year and isn’t that far removed from his 41-goal, 76-point effort with the Rangers in 2011-12.
For L.A., the move is reminiscent to the Jeff Carter acquisition of two years ago. Desperately seeking offense, the Kings splashed big at the deadline to acquire Carter and the move paid off, as he helped the club win the first Stanley Cup in franchise history.
This year, the Kings have struggled mightily to find the back of the net and sit 27th in the NHL in goals per game (2.32) — only the Canucks, Flames and Sabres score less.
UPDATE: A little more on what Columbus receives, per the Dispatch…
#CBJ get 2nd rd pick, which was originally Toronto’s pick. Also get a 3rd-rd pick if Kings win first-round playoff series or resign Gaborik.
— Aaron Portzline (@Aportzline) March 5, 2014
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)