Mar 5, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
Many perceived the Anaheim Ducks’ decision to deal Dustin Penner as a prelude to a bigger trade. Maybe that indeed was the plan for GM Bob Murray, but it just didn’t work out that way, as Stephane Robidas stands as their biggest pickup.
Now, in the case of Kesler in particular, the Canucks might not have been interested for two key reasons:
1) Vancouver clearly didn’t want to deal the 29-year-old to another team in the West. That probably goes double for a high-ranking contender like the Ducks.
2) The Canucks laid out a blueprint that included a roster player and prospect plus a pick, so despite Murray floating a serious asset, it might not have conformed to what Mike Gillis was searching for.
So, in the case of Kesler in specific, Murray maybe shouldn’t be so surprised. If he was dangling such high picks for the likes of Thomas Vanek (who went for a fairly minimal package, unless you ask New York Islanders GM Garth Snow), then you can understand why he might be perplexed on Wednesday.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)