Mar 5, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers had the lead all night, never relinquished it, but a third-period comeback by the Washington Capitals sure made for an interesting finish.
The Flyers managed to hold on for a 6-4 victory over the visiting Capitals on Wednesday on NBCSN, moving into sole possession of second in the Metropolitan Division. The Capitals remain fifth in the same division.
- What a wild third period that was. The two teams combined for five goals, with Washington scoring three times to make it a one-goal game, providing for an exciting finish in the final meeting of the season between these division rivals.
- It’s become clear this season that these two teams do not like each other. A line brawl broke out in the first period of tonight’s game. Shame they don’t play each other again this season.
- Alex Ovechkin hasn’t hit the 50-goal mark since the 2009-10 season. On Wednesday, he scored his 44th of the season. Looking like he’ll get back to the half-century mark once again.
- Still on the Ovechkin front: He threw a massive hit on Flyers’ forward Michael Raffl in the second period. Perhaps a high hit, too?
- Not a great night for goalies. Philadelphia’s Steve Mason gave up four goals on just 25 shots. Braden Holtby was pulled in the second period for Washington, giving up four goals on 18 shots.
- Quite a night for Claude Giroux. He had a three-point night, including a pair of goals and now has 11 points in his last seven games.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)