Mar 5, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers had the lead all night, never relinquished it, but a third-period comeback by the Washington Capitals sure made for an interesting finish.
The Flyers managed to hold on for a 6-4 victory over the visiting Capitals on Wednesday on NBCSN, moving into sole possession of second in the Metropolitan Division. The Capitals remain fifth in the same division.
- What a wild third period that was. The two teams combined for five goals, with Washington scoring three times to make it a one-goal game, providing for an exciting finish in the final meeting of the season between these division rivals.
- It’s become clear this season that these two teams do not like each other. A line brawl broke out in the first period of tonight’s game. Shame they don’t play each other again this season.
- Alex Ovechkin hasn’t hit the 50-goal mark since the 2009-10 season. On Wednesday, he scored his 44th of the season. Looking like he’ll get back to the half-century mark once again.
- Still on the Ovechkin front: He threw a massive hit on Flyers’ forward Michael Raffl in the second period. Perhaps a high hit, too?
- Not a great night for goalies. Philadelphia’s Steve Mason gave up four goals on just 25 shots. Braden Holtby was pulled in the second period for Washington, giving up four goals on 18 shots.
- Quite a night for Claude Giroux. He had a three-point night, including a pair of goals and now has 11 points in his last seven games.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (73)