Mar 5, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have suffered from serious injury issues this season, and it doesn’t look like things will get any better soon, as GM Ken Holland announced that the team will “shut down” Pavel Datsyuk for three weeks. The good news is that surgery on that bad knee isn’t on tap … yet.
“Right now, there’s no surgery for Pavel,” Holland said. “We’re gonna shut him down and see where we’re at in three weeks.”
Now, keep in mind, three weeks is when they’re revisit the situation. In a best-case scenario, the Red Wings would get Datsyuk back sometime around March 25 against the Columbus Blue Jackets. He’s already missed two games and would miss 10 more in the most ideal series of events. Knowing Detroit’s luck in 2013-14, this could end up being a lengthier ordeal.
To make matters worse, the team also announced that Darren Helm was pulled from Tuesday’s game because of “headaches” and will miss at least a few days.
When you stack Datsyuk and Helm’s latest setbacks alongside bad luck for Henrik Zetterberg and Stephen Weiss – among others – it’s easy to see why the “wounded wings” headline has been featured so often at PHT. It also makes it that much easier to understand why they gave up some valuable assets to get David Legwand on deadline day.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)