Mar 5, 2014, 5:14 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings have suffered from serious injury issues this season, and it doesn’t look like things will get any better soon, as GM Ken Holland announced that the team will “shut down” Pavel Datsyuk for three weeks. The good news is that surgery on that bad knee isn’t on tap … yet.
“Right now, there’s no surgery for Pavel,” Holland said. “We’re gonna shut him down and see where we’re at in three weeks.”
Now, keep in mind, three weeks is when they’re revisit the situation. In a best-case scenario, the Red Wings would get Datsyuk back sometime around March 25 against the Columbus Blue Jackets. He’s already missed two games and would miss 10 more in the most ideal series of events. Knowing Detroit’s luck in 2013-14, this could end up being a lengthier ordeal.
To make matters worse, the team also announced that Darren Helm was pulled from Tuesday’s game because of “headaches” and will miss at least a few days.
When you stack Datsyuk and Helm’s latest setbacks alongside bad luck for Henrik Zetterberg and Stephen Weiss – among others – it’s easy to see why the “wounded wings” headline has been featured so often at PHT. It also makes it that much easier to understand why they gave up some valuable assets to get David Legwand on deadline day.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)