Mar 5, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
Erat has just one goal in 53 games this season, although he does have 23 assists. His previous low was also one goal, scored during the 2002-03 season, when he played 27 games for the Nashville Predators. He also split time in the American Hockey League with Milwaukee that season.
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney made the point that Erat currently has as many goals on the season Phoenix goaltender Mike Smith, who scored a buzzer-beater into an empty net against Detroit back in October.
“He’s tied with our goaltender for goal scoring so it isn’t where we need it to be, but we think that can come back,” Maloney said Tuesday, as per Sarah McLellan of azcentral sports.
There was another terrific one-liner tonight, offered by Florida Panthers goalie Tim Thomas when he commented on his team’s acquisition – headed by general manager Dale Tallon – of Roberto Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks.
“Dale went kicking tires and found one that needed to be pumped,” said Thomas, of course referring to the infamous tire-pumping episode between Thomas and Luongo during the 2011 Stanley Cup Final.
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 4
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 29
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 75
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)