Mar 5, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
Erat has just one goal in 53 games this season, although he does have 23 assists. His previous low was also one goal, scored during the 2002-03 season, when he played 27 games for the Nashville Predators. He also split time in the American Hockey League with Milwaukee that season.
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney made the point that Erat currently has as many goals on the season Phoenix goaltender Mike Smith, who scored a buzzer-beater into an empty net against Detroit back in October.
“He’s tied with our goaltender for goal scoring so it isn’t where we need it to be, but we think that can come back,” Maloney said Tuesday, as per Sarah McLellan of azcentral sports.
There was another terrific one-liner tonight, offered by Florida Panthers goalie Tim Thomas when he commented on his team’s acquisition – headed by general manager Dale Tallon – of Roberto Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks.
“Dale went kicking tires and found one that needed to be pumped,” said Thomas, of course referring to the infamous tire-pumping episode between Thomas and Luongo during the 2011 Stanley Cup Final.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 13
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 39
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6