Mar 5, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
Erat has just one goal in 53 games this season, although he does have 23 assists. His previous low was also one goal, scored during the 2002-03 season, when he played 27 games for the Nashville Predators. He also split time in the American Hockey League with Milwaukee that season.
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney made the point that Erat currently has as many goals on the season Phoenix goaltender Mike Smith, who scored a buzzer-beater into an empty net against Detroit back in October.
“He’s tied with our goaltender for goal scoring so it isn’t where we need it to be, but we think that can come back,” Maloney said Tuesday, as per Sarah McLellan of azcentral sports.
There was another terrific one-liner tonight, offered by Florida Panthers goalie Tim Thomas when he commented on his team’s acquisition – headed by general manager Dale Tallon – of Roberto Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks.
“Dale went kicking tires and found one that needed to be pumped,” said Thomas, of course referring to the infamous tire-pumping episode between Thomas and Luongo during the 2011 Stanley Cup Final.
- Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 66
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)