Mar 5, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
Erat has just one goal in 53 games this season, although he does have 23 assists. His previous low was also one goal, scored during the 2002-03 season, when he played 27 games for the Nashville Predators. He also split time in the American Hockey League with Milwaukee that season.
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney made the point that Erat currently has as many goals on the season Phoenix goaltender Mike Smith, who scored a buzzer-beater into an empty net against Detroit back in October.
“He’s tied with our goaltender for goal scoring so it isn’t where we need it to be, but we think that can come back,” Maloney said Tuesday, as per Sarah McLellan of azcentral sports.
There was another terrific one-liner tonight, offered by Florida Panthers goalie Tim Thomas when he commented on his team’s acquisition – headed by general manager Dale Tallon – of Roberto Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks.
“Dale went kicking tires and found one that needed to be pumped,” said Thomas, of course referring to the infamous tire-pumping episode between Thomas and Luongo during the 2011 Stanley Cup Final.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)