Mar 5, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
Erat has just one goal in 53 games this season, although he does have 23 assists. His previous low was also one goal, scored during the 2002-03 season, when he played 27 games for the Nashville Predators. He also split time in the American Hockey League with Milwaukee that season.
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney made the point that Erat currently has as many goals on the season Phoenix goaltender Mike Smith, who scored a buzzer-beater into an empty net against Detroit back in October.
“He’s tied with our goaltender for goal scoring so it isn’t where we need it to be, but we think that can come back,” Maloney said Tuesday, as per Sarah McLellan of azcentral sports.
There was another terrific one-liner tonight, offered by Florida Panthers goalie Tim Thomas when he commented on his team’s acquisition – headed by general manager Dale Tallon – of Roberto Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks.
“Dale went kicking tires and found one that needed to be pumped,” said Thomas, of course referring to the infamous tire-pumping episode between Thomas and Luongo during the 2011 Stanley Cup Final.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5