Mar 5, 2014, 1:03 AM EDT
Oh, and they were also scheduled to play the Phoenix Coyotes a few hours later in an important Western Conference match-up – one that could impact both teams’ playoff chances.
The Canucks dealt Luongo back to the Florida Panthers in exchange for center Shawn Matthias and goalie Jacob Markstrom. Without Luongo, who had been in Vancouver for eight seasons, the Canucks were then shut out 1-0 by the Coyotes in an otherwise flat, uninspired effort with their post-season hopes fading with every negative result.
The Canucks may not be done dealing, either, as the club continues to “re-tool” after two consecutive first-round playoff exits and the very real possibility it might not qualify for the post-season in 2013-14. It’s believed center Ryan Kesler could also be on the move, although exactly where remains in question as the deadline approaches.
“I don’t know if we’re done yet,” Canucks GM Mike Gillis said in a conference call on Tuesday. “If we do something else, it will be in the same vain of trying to get younger and trying to get more depth and more balance.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)